Chapter 2

Ugh. It's a Monday again.
But nothing better than the fact that the stupid family gathering just got over.
It's 8 o'clock and where are these bitches?

I went to the cafeteria to get myself a cup of cold coffee. I needed some caffeine to get through the day. What you need to know about me: Get in the way of my relationship with caffeine and you will be on your way to hell! Ha-ha.

I had to wait for another ten minutes before Tanya started walking through the doors. Finally. My saviour comes.

"Hey Aditi!", Tanya screamed from the other side of the cafeteria. She's always high. On sugar. She dragged the chair and sat down and threw a chocolate in my face.

Next thing about me you need to know: I LOVE chocolates.

We were talking about the weekend and she was telling me about the party her family had gone to and for once, I admit, I felt rather alone. For not having a real happy family and the other for not having a sibling. I am usually happy and enjoy being alone. But at times like this when my friends tell me about the inside jokes with their brothers, or the things they do for them, it makes a wee bit sad. But yeah, what am I gonna do anyway!

The rest of my troupe walked in. Laila, Nisha, and Kriti.
That's us. It's the five of us against the world. The next thing you need to know about me: These girls are my world. They mean a lot more than that. They're more than family. Hurt them and you'll feel a punch right across your face.

Our first class was language. We were being taught Shakespeare. Me and my girls are the last benchers. We love the random jokes and the hurried food eating times there. We're mischievous. But we never cross the line.

Shakespeare was Nisha's favorite. She wouldn't even let us whisper to each other.

"Tanya, what are you doi-"

Nisha caught Laila by her ear and made her listen to the class. That dedication to Shakespeare. He should be proud!

We had to pass notes to each other to stay out of Nisha's ears. But apparently, we couldn't get away this time either.

The bell went off and honestly I couldn't have been more glad. 'What fishy art thou doth' wasn't really me thing. And Neeraj sir's teaching wasn't helping either.

"You guys are such a disgrace. How could you not like Shakespeare? Couldn't you have kept quiet?", Nisha exploded the minute the Prof left.

"Jeez Nish. Stop freaking out!", Kriti said and she made a crooked joke about something that kept our mind off the English class. Laila was the last one to get the joke. She always needed to be explained. She was our baby.

We're all single. And not really ready to mingle. We are happier this way and it also gives us an edge to just oggle at every cute guy that walks down the hall. We weren't really the 'Girly' people either. We were normal. And that's what I love about us. We have a lot of secrets and they keep us close.

We became friends in the weirdest way ever. And I will keep that for a later time.

Classes ended at 1600h and none of us wanted to go home. We grabbed some food and went to Tanya's place. Next to school, that was the only place we hung out more. Her room was our favorite place to be.

I crawled into her bed and started our usual 'not so girly' gossip.

"Did you hear that Ritu ma'am is retiring? School won't be the same fun without her", Kriti said.

"'Don't pack your bags, there's twenty three seconds left!'", imitated Laila.

"She was one hell of a lady. Anyway her son got hitched recently. Do you think she'd invite us for the wedding?", I asked.

" What are we? The local minister's children that she would invite us?", Nisha replied.

"But still, we're her favourites...", said Tanya and gulped down a spoonful of sugar.

I didn't see why this was our topic of discussion suddenly.
"Guys does it matter? We don't even know her son! For all we know.. He might not even be cute!"

Nisha and Kriti suddenly became all excited and started giggling.

"Cute reminds me-", Laila started only yo be cut off my Kriti.

"Shut up Laila. Lemme tell them!"

And this 'I will tell them' 'No I will tell them' war went on for about a couple of minutes.

Tanya was the inpatient one. She ordered for one of them to tell.

"Kriti and I saw this really cute guy this morning on our way to school. Mhan! He was like Ashton Kutcher for India. He had blue eyes dammit! We tried to take a picture of his, but meh. There are always buffalos on the way", she sighed.

"Portable speed breakers", Nisha added taking a handful of the potato chips and eating them, without sharing em with anyone.

I was having my chocolate craving and I traded Tanya the chocolate with the sugar cubes I had with me.

I think I slept late last night because I was kinda of dozing. Nisha had to kick my ass to keep me up.

"Oh god! Can this woman not stay awake ever!?", Nisha said and laughed.

We left for home an hour after that.

"Hi ma!", I screamed and took the bag off my shoulders.

"Hey baby. How was your day?", my mom asked. She was making dinner for us.

"Just the usual ma. Nothing great."

"Okay. Why don't you fresh up by the time I lay the table for dinner?"

That's it. That's how much we spoke about my life. Not that I didn't like telling them. It's just that I really wouldn't expect my mom to understand whatever I tell her.
My dad stays away because of work. So its just me and my mom at home. Usually she starts telling about all her friends.

"Jhansi Aunty and her husband went to Goa. Ooo look at her saree, it's so pretty, but she should have gotten a yellow border for it and.....", she goes on and on and I'm on flight mode all the time.

My days are always like this except for the occasional outings with my friends. We have a bigger friend circle. That's the five of us and Sara and her boyfriend Naitik, Deeksha, Kaushal, Aarudra, Sanjay and Nivedita. They were close friends too. We would either hang out at the beach for the weekend or catch up for a movie.

One day after I got home, mom told me that I'd have to go to Delhi, to help Neeta aunty, my mom's widowed friend with something, alone. And I couldn't be more excited. I've always been raised in a protective environment. This was entirely new to me. And I so look forward to it.
What you need to know about me: I love to travel to new places and explore. Staying at place for more than five years creeps me out like real bad.

Two more days and I can leave for Delhi! Yay!