Chapter 5

"Krishna Ramaswamy, you better be here in ten minutes", I thought to myself. He's Krish when he's being nice and Krishna Ramaswamy when he's being an absolute asshole. He has a first name, but I never know. He never tells me. "Not now.. there's time", he would say when I asked him. He was STRANGE.

If you're wondering why I haven't called him up yet is because I do NOT have a phone and that's because my Orthodox family considered that giving me a phone would make me a 'spoilt brat'.

"You are always with Krish, you can use his phone if you need to contact us or vice versa," they always said.

On the deserted street, I met my Messiah who was kind enough to give me his phone after he had his share of interrogation as to who I had to call and a truck full of dirty looks when I told him it was a guy. Hmph.

My hands trembled as I dialled his number, it was the only one I knew by heart apart from my parents'. I was always worried about Krish. He was irresponsible af.

'So baby pull me closer....',his caller tune blared out of the speaker.

Duh. Another one of his flirty caller tunes. The song continued, but he wouldn't pick me. The last thing I knew about him was he was at a sleepover last night, and nothing after that. Anxiety began rising inside me beads of sweat started to form on my temples. On the third try, he picked up.

"KRISHNA!!!", I screamed into the phone, later heaving a sigh of exasperation.

"Um Hi, who..", he coughed, "who's this?", He said, rather groggily. He was asleep.

Tears began forming in my eyes. "Krish what is wrong with you? We were supposed to meet at 11am. We were supposed to surprise Joshi on his birthday. Where are you Krish, I'm worried. I've been waiting for you for over half an hour" and I broke down.

He seemed to get a hold of the situation. His voice turned serious, concerned.
"Aditi, adi, listen. Why are you on the road? Go home, adi. It's the 28th and Joshi's birthday is tomorrow. Go home now. I'll come in half an hour."

Realisation hit me hard. I forgot. Again. My eyes began to hurt from the bright sun. My legs were aching. I thanked the uncle and started walking back, crying. I broke into a run.

I went home to an empty house, the walls staring at me in curiosity, probably mocking me for my forgetfulness. I was so exhausted, my face was red from the crying. I crashed into my bed.

"Aditi! Adi, wake up. Wake up, you moron", I heard someone try to wake me up.

I woke up abruptly to the blaring horn of the train and I found myself facing Arjun, his face close, I could see the creases on his forehead.
He looked worried.. concerned. It dawned on me that he was trying to wake me up.

"What..", I cleared my throat. "What happened?" I sounded like a dying walrus.

"Hey!! Finally, you've woken up. I've been trying to wake you up for the last ten minutes. You just didn't move an inch. I was worried.." he sighed. I stared into those deep blue eyes.

Why was he worried about me? A hundred thoughts rushed through my mind.

"Aditi, we've halted at a station, I wanted to know if you wanted something to eat", he asked, stopping my train of thoughts.