My Worst Nightmare

Pearl's POV
I rub my eyes. I've been stareing at this computer screen for three hours now, trying to find any information on the Rose case. Why can't Garnet slip up once in her life? This is bullshit. She made sure to keep all information off her computer. While Amethyst made us pass up this case, Garnet will keep working on it. She's one of the few people who can do that, being a close friend of the director. "Want any help?" I jump at a girl's voice. I turn to see an old friend. "Sardonyx. How long it's been. Maybe 8 years? You've changed a lot." "And you haven't at all Pearl. For an FBI agent, it' extremely easy to get into you're house." "I'm not the only one to live here." "Ahh... You're liveing with a roomate?" "More or less. I live here with my partner. And besides, while we have enoughmoney to upgrade, nowadays, there are more and more people like you, and it'd just make it easier for them to get in. The FBI is already too vulnurable with all this tech. Peridot could hack into it with a laptop. She said she could do it with a flip phone." "Is that little programmer still talking to big for her apartment?" "Well, now she lives with Lapis Lazuli. In a house near the beach. With a kid." "She got with Lazuli? "Yeah, they sent you a letter. Didn't you get it?" "Not sure. I haven't checked my mail in a few years." "What have you been doing these past 8 years?" "Nothing much, really. Lots of freelance work. Aparently it pays extremely well." "That's because you set your own prices. Overchargeing again, are we?" "No, I charge for the quality of my work. The better te work is, the more I charge for it." I quickly open my rarely used steam account and search up her games. "The Way the Wind Blows. 23.45$. That is redicilous." "That is an MMORPG, Pearl. Took me a year to make a rough sketch of the beta version, and the ones willng to pay, are the beta testers. Those who are not, must wait for the price to fall for the full completed version. Seems fair for me." "Seems stupid to me, but I don't game, so I have no idea." "Of corse you don't." "Is that an insult?" "No, but i am here to use your computer, my geatest peice of work." "You talk so highly of your work, Sardonyx." I stand and offer her the chair. "What do you need it for anyway?" "Just for a major hacking job." "You do know freelance acking is illigal, rght?" "Yes, I do. But you wouldn't bother with me about that. You have the Quartz murder to fester over." "How did you-" "I keep in toutch with the Universe family. Her kid is so upset. The police cameand took Greg away, said he went insane. They say the kid's at the FBI right now." I hear the door unlock and Amethyst walk in. "Sardonyx, you're gonna have to leave for a bit. We just got called in." before I can sigh I hear Opal's voice. "Momma, you have to go into work again?" "Yes Opal. Seemes like it's been buisy at work lately. Sardonyx, do you mind watching Opal? She's 14, but I don't like leaveing her alone..." "Sure." I kiss Opal on the forehead. "I'll see you when i get back, okay?" "Okay."

Later we're at the office, standing in front of Garnet, who is holding Rose's kid, Steven. "You two will be charged with takeing care of him." I can almost feel the disomfort coming off of Amethyst. "But G, we already have a kid!" "And that's why you'll be takeing care of him. I think Opal will be able to befriend him and coax him out of this shell he's put himself in." "But-" "Amethyst stop protesting." I say, walking up to Garnet and putting my hand out to the boy now hideing behind Garnet's leg. "Hey there. I'm Pearl." Hes says in a small voice, "I'm Steven. Steven Quartz Universe. Are you gonna go after the man who hurt Mom to?" "I don't know. Are we Garnet? Did she put us back on the case?" "Yes, you and Amethyst are back on the investigateing team." she fixes her shades and says "Steven. I need you to go with Amethyst and Pearl. They have another kid at home who i think can realte to you." "Okay... They seem like good people." He's about Amethyst's height. My worst nightmare has come true. Rose is dead and er kid is with me. An iternal reminder that she's gone.
Opal's POV
"Are you a friend of Momma P?" "You mean Pearl? Yeah, I'm an old friend of hers." "What are you doing?" "Just doing a hacking job for someone." "Cool, what are you hacking?" "Peridot's computer." "Why Peri's?" "Someone asked me to. For a good bit of money." "You do this for money?" "Yes. It pays extremey well. I can teach you how." "You can?" "Yeah, pull up a chair." I pull up a chair and hear the front door open. "That must be them, I'll be right back." I head to the door and see a kid. "Hello. Momma, who's this?" Momma P knelt down to me and said, "This is Steven. He's gonna be staying with us for a while. Can you take him to the guet room and show him around please?" I nod and gesture for him to follow me. I take him tothe guest room and take this time to talk to him. "I'm Opal. Why exactly are you here?" he flinches at my voice. I was little harsh. "Sorry." I say, softening my tone. "I might have come off a little mean." I put my hand out to him. "I tend to get that way with new people." he takes my hand and shakes it. "I understand. After Mom died I've been the same way. My name's Steven Quartz Universe." "You're the kid from the Quartz case Momma Ame was talking to Mrs.G about. Rose Quartz Universe was a friend of Momma P's. She was pretty torn up about it. Don't worry, she'll find who did this." "You sure?" "I know by experince." "Experince?" "Yeah, Momma P and Ame aren't my parents. My parents where killed in an attempt to protect me. Sadly, they died for nothing. I was kidnapped and sold as a slave of the worst kind for a girl. Turns out that they where really good at hideing bodies, so it took the FBI about a year to hear about the murders, and a few weeks to find out they had a kid. Acording to them, they found me about a month later. Momma P almost killed the man i had been sold to with her bare hands. When it comes to kids being victims, in any way, Momma P gets 100% more determined. And you being a victim of this along with your mom being an old friend, the house is gona have to be out of coffee before she even attempts to sleep." "T-that can't be healthy." "It's not, but she takes her job seriously." "She said something to Mrs. Garnet about being back on the case, what was that about?" "They pass up cases sometimes. Momma Ame passed it up when she saw the way Momma P reacted to the fact that Rose had died. Then after they came home from work i heard her venting and crying. That happens when something bug happens. She loves her job, but it can overwelm her sometimes." "I guess it would anyone." "Yeah."