Chapter 1

It's a cold morning on the last day of March in 1912. It was slightly raining but I didn't mind. The water in the harbor next to me shimmered as it bobbed up and down along with the reflections of people gliding on top. I stood staring at the water imagining that I was on a ship, much like the one my mother sailed away on to Southampton to help my sick Aunt Emma and make her healthy again. Except I wasn't a passenger, I was the captain running my own ship. When I awoke from my day dream the boat that had the veterans from the Balkan Wars aboard her was finally here. People were cheering and crying all at the same time. I normally don't come with Papa to the docks but this time was different, Because my cousin was finally coming home.

         We are my cousin Daniel's only family. His dad, John Edward Mccush, left when he was 2 for a woman named Chekylie Red who was supposedly Daniel's Mother's half-cousin and his mother, Catherine Sarah Chapman, died of pneumonia when he was 10, and us being the closest relatives the government put him in our care. Daniel, unlike me, has no siblings, although he considers my siblings his own.

       "If you see Daniel before I do Janie, let me know." I nodded and tried to peer through the crowd but so many people were there crying and laughing it was hard to believe. Finally after about 20 minutes I saw him and shrieked " There he is there's Daniel!" probably louder than I should have and before Papa could look up I was Jumping up and down waving my arm frantically in the air for Daniel. It seemed pretty easy for Daniel to find us but the hard part was getting through the crowd without anyone trying to drag you away.

         When he finally reached us he picked me up and hugged me and Papa. "It's good to see you boy." Papa whispered just loud enough for me to hear. "It's good to be back sir." Daniel stepped back to pick up his bags "Well we had better be getting back or Annie's going to get upset." Papa said "Little Ann is still here?!" Asked Daniel. Little Ann is Daniel's pet name for Annie that he gave her when he was 5 and she was 2, personally I think creepy and annoying. Those two were always together when Daniel was home but I don't mind...Really I don't. "Yep" I said patiently "She's 14 now... thats 5 years more than me."

        Annie always takes the attention away with her long blond hair, beautiful aquamarine eyes that have hint sapphire and the perfect complexion, the ultimate worst thing that Annie has is the fact that she is our babysitter which mean that she is alway around. We are a very wealthy family, one of the wealthiest in New York we have a big house but no servants because Papa thinks that we should learn responsibility.

       When we got to our automobile Daniel started to ramble on frantically about the vehicle saying words that not me or Papa understood. "I just can't believe you bought an automobile without my guidance." he said jokingly.

       We pulled up in front of our house Maxtion, James, and Maria all ran over to welcome Daniel home. Maxtion and Maria are my sisters and James and William are my brothers. William is only 2 so he is too young to be outside alone with Annie so he stays inside with Laobhaoise Bauschinger, our special nanny. As soon as Daniel stepped out of the automobile they all jumped on him "hello" he said as he hugged all of them "wow, your all so big. How old are you again?"
"6" yelled Maxtion
"5" yelled James
"3" whispered Maria

        Marie is a little bashful at times. When Daniel looked up Annie was slowly walking towards him and she managed to giggle out "I'm 14" Daniel stood up and the three children started to make kissy faces at them while I looked at Annie in disgust. ''Go inside now!" Papa yelled and they all scattered " Sorry about that they usually don't behave that way." Explained Papa. Daniel laughed "Kids" he said "Always funny." Papa walked over to Annie and handed her $5 and 3 shiny coins. "There you go dear now let's get you home. Papa and Annie left in the automobile and I took Daniel inside to show him around our home.