Chatper 3

After we finished our dinner, we went home to talk about everything that happened over the past 2 years. My mother will have great stories when she returns I thought only to myself. Daniel had the best stories about his time away that we just couldn't get enough of but eventually all good things must come to an end.
The next 2 weeks went by faster than ever and it was April 14 already and only 6 days until my mother came home on her ship. Daniel had big plans today and we wouldn't see him again until later in the day, he has to finish painting his room. But today me and my siblings are going to get presents for our mother and supplies for a welcome home party.
We went all over town looking for the perfect presents and party supplies. Maxtion bought her yarn and a new set of knitting needles, James bought her hair accessories, Maria bought her fabric to sew into anything she'd like, William picked out the most beautiful hat for her, and we bought faux flowers with the money Daniel gave us to buy a present for her. Papa and I however couldn't seem to find anything for her that she might like. Our final stop was Mother's favorite jewelry store, it always had new items that never cease to amaze.
Papa found a silver ring adorned with diamonds and sapphires in less than 10 minutes and I still couldn't find anything. After carefully examining every piece in the store I was still empty handed until the store manager suggested something in the back. When he returned he had an assortment of lockets. " How many children?" He asked
"5"
"How many adults?" I looked over at Papa "Sall I add Daniel as well?" He stood for a minute thinking. "If you would like to." He then turned to the man at the counter and asked "Could she add my nephew as well, he lives with us since his parents past and he's like a son." The man at the counter looked through the lockets "We don't have a locket for 8 people. But we could have one custom made and shipped to your house for you." Papa wasn't sure at first but I eventually talked him into it. We prepared for the style and for the number of picture slots we wanted.
Back at home Daniel was still working on his room, he had painted it a deep blue, that being his favorite color. I watched him as he painted and we just talked. "But I guess I can consider myself lucky I'm one of few guys who got picked to go home." He smiled but u could tell that it was a fake and that he had something on his mind. " so what war like?" He looked at me as if shocked by the question. "Well... It's stressful but the guys you meet out there help calm your nerves." The only thing I wanted to ask him about was Annie "Are you excited for your mother to come home?"
"Well of course I am." I said with a slightly angry tone. He looked at me confused to why I had sounded angry. Finally I worked up the courage to just say what came to me "Do you like Annie? Like would you want to court her, because she's 14 and your 17 almost 18." He stared at me with no expression " I don't want to talk about it, Janie"
"But I do. She's been your friend for..."
"Janie I said I don't want to talk about it!"
I couldn't believe he had just yelled at me, he had never yelled at me before. I felt like crying and I could feel my face getting hot and my throat was dry. "Janie I'm sorry I just don't want to talk about it right now... How about we talk about something else like... Your mother. When is she coming home again?"
" She's coming in 6 days so on the 20th day of the month." I tried to keep the tears back so Daniel couldn't see how upset I was "Janie I'm really sorry I didn't mean to upset you like that." He leaned down and hugged me "So what's the name of the ship your mother is coming on?" I wiped away the tears and cleared my throat "The Titanic."