Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

December 1845

Three weeks had passed since Mr. Levenworth had been placed in the ground. A lawman had come and spoken to Samuel. He'd seemed satisfied in Samuel's tale of an accidental shooting. No one had spoken up to counter him. Even Daniel had kept his opinions to himself. Fear of Samuel and the power he now held over them was enough to silence them all.

Saraphine had never lived in such constant fear. She was terrified any time she entered a room Samuel was in, passed him in the hall or laid her head down at night, that it was going to be the moment he did more than stare at her with that stomach churning lust.

Daniel's good nature and positive outlook on life seemed to be fading as well. He was tense, on edge and paced the home as if he were a caged animal.

And Ellen....

Saraphine had never thought she'd feel so much pity or sympathy for the woman—but she did. She had helped Ellen dress quite often in the past few weeks and had seen Samuel's handiwork upon her skin. Ellen was no longer even a shadow of what she had once been. She still dressed in beautiful clothes and her hair was always neat—but her eyes were haunted and her expression blank.

Losing her father had been terrible for Ellen. He'd been the only family she'd had left, since Daniel had never truly been accepted. But marriage to Samuel had truly broken her. In such a short span of time he had killed Ellen's spirit.

It seemed the angel's Saraphine had once so admired, were surprisingly weak.

Saraphine swore she would be stronger. No matter what happened she would not let Samuel break her.

"Saraphine?" Daniel's voice pulled her from her thoughts.

"What is it?" she asked, alarmed by his tense expression.

"Samuel has demanded to see all the slaves and foremen down by the slave quarters. He told me to fetch you."

Saraphine turned back toward her bedroom window and gazed at the fields glazed with frost, glistening in the sunrise.

What could Samuel possibly want with them all?

"Come along now, Saraphine. Best not to make him angry."

After a deep, steadying breath Saraphine went to Daniel. He wrapped her in a tight embrace. "I won't let no harm come to you," he vowed.

"Let's hurry along," she urged, pulling away but taking his hand. "So he won't have a reason to harm either of us."

They remained hand in hand until they neared the slave quarters. Placing distance between them, Saraphine stood with the other slaves while Daniel stood nearer to the foremen.

Samuel rubbed at his thick black mustache and smiled—an action which had no effect on his eyes. "I'm sure you're all wondering why I called you out here. I know there is work to be done, so I'll make this as quick as I can. Have been watching over the past few weeks, evaluating how the plantation operates."

Samuel adjusted his tweed jacket before continuing. "I've decided to make several changes."

Saraphine's stomach churned when those dark eyes found her. "Saraphine will remain in the home and see to cooking and cleaning duties there. I want a slave close." He licked at his lip and Saraphine laid a hand over her heaving stomach. "One never knows when they might need the service of one."