Chapter 2- Starry Night

                                                 Chasing the Sun

5 Months Later

The rhythmic clicking of her stiletto boots against the concrete pavement could not be discerned from the noise of New York City’s night life. Unlike the last time she was in New York, this time her mission brought her to the more…known parts of the city. She was dressed in her customary black, though her outfit was significantly different than it was the previous time.

She wore a skin tight full body suit with a belt looped around her waist. On her hands was a pair of black leather gloves while a handgun was strapped to her thigh. A fashionable black trench coat covered the upper part of her body, stopping right above her knees. A pair of dark sunglasses adorned her small face, blocking out her eyes from public view, while her hair was neatly tied at the back of her head and secured with a strong elastic band and several bobby pins to ensure that no slippage occurred while she was carrying out her mission. After all, she did not need to have her hair blowing in her face while trying to work on the more... delicate parts of the security system. She looked like an average woman out at night, looking for some entertainment.

She made sure to stay hidden in the shadows and avoided security cameras at all cost. The crowd of the city helped her to hidden, but they also made it difficult for someone as diminutive as her to hurry along.

As she neared the building, she pressed herself to the walls of adjacent buildings, before slipping in to a narrow alley way. Once she was sure that no one was going to see her, she shed her coat and hid it behind the mountain of empty boxes, taking care to keep it out of sight. She kept her glasses on and pulled a small silver device out of her belt pocket. It barely fit in the palm of her hand. She searched the wall until she found a miniscule crack that would have been missed by untrained human eyes. Her smile was feral. Carefully, she stuck the metal object on top of it, pressing the indentation of its middle. She waited a few seconds before there were two beeps in quick succession, turning the indentation blue before returning back to its original silver. She removed it from the wall and slipped it back into her belt pocket.

Brilliant. Any and all cameras located inside there were now disabled. They were going to be on a loop for the next hour. That gave her more than enough time to get in and get out with what she wanted. Without hesitation, she pulled open a door (wincing at the loud sound it made as the metal hinges protested) and quickly slipped in to the darkness.

It took her a few moments to find the correct part of the museum where the material was being stored. After disabling the deafening claxon with the same little silver device, she easily pushed open the vacuum lock doors, exposing the large, cavernous hall. It was painted dark blue with small LED lights here and there, giving it the effect of the night sky while blue light spilled out of their concave dishes that were attached to the walls, giving it an unearthly glow.

Zara quickly snapped out of her trance and glanced at her small wristwatch. She had less than forty minutes to get the material and get out.

She walked over to the pristine glass case that, according to its placement, was supposed to contain the main attraction. She looked at it. It was nothing more than a giant rock. How boring.

Slipping on her shades, she pressed the side of it, allowing her to see laser beams that would have otherwise been invisible to the human eye. It surrounded each ones of the displays in a lattice formation, making it virtually impossible- even for Zara- to get in with setting of another set of alarms. With a small sigh, she immediately set to work on disabling it, pulling out an array of objects from her belt. Eventually, after eight minutes, she was finally able to crack the algorithm in charge of keeping the lasers up and running. It disabled those both on the outside and on the inside of the glass case.