Chapter Six

Chapter Six

          It was Saturday the 27th, two days after the school incident and just four days away from the “Wedding”. Nick was as calm and collected as ever, but I was starting to freak out. I only had four days, four days until I would be forced to marry a guy that I didn’t even like. Sure, it would be fake, but it would feel real. I had always dreamed that my first wedding would be to the man that I loved, not something as absurd as this .

          I was sitting on the bed in Nick’s room (now my room, I guess), feeling sorry for myself when Nick burst through the door.

          “We’re going out today, Tessa, get dressed.” He ordered.

           I looked down at my pajamas. “What for?”

          “Wedding preparations.” He told me. “We’ve got a lot to do, so hurry.” And with that, he turned on his heel and left me alone so I could get ready.

          I ran a comb through my messy hair, to tame it, and brushed my teeth, switching out my pajamas for some skinny jeans and a floral blouse.  If I was going to go out into public today, I should at least try  to look presentable. I French braided my hair and stepped into some flats, before walking out into the living room to meet Nick.

          “That was pretty quick.” He said when he saw me. “I like the braid.”

          “Thanks.” I muttered, following him out of the apartment.

          We took an elevator down to the parking lot and got into his car. It was a shiny little black number (I had no idea what type, I wasn’t very educated when it came to cars), that just barely had enough room for the two of us.

          “Sorry about the lack of space,” Nick mumbled as he started the car. “Teacher’s salary.”

          “I don’t mind.” I said. “Where are we going?”

          “To the bridal store.” Nick answered. “You get to pick out your dress Tessa, aren’t you excited?”

          “I wouldn’t call it excitement.” I mumbled, settling into the faux leather seat and staring out of the window watching San Francisco rush by in a blur of colors.

          Nick chuckled lightly and turned on the radio. The car ride was soon filled with awkward silence and crap music, until Nick parked his car in the parking lot of the bridal shop. It was in a rundown little building and the sign above the door read: Darlene’s Dresses, which literally left nothing to the imagination. When Nick pushed the door open a little bell jingled, signaling our arrival, and we were immediately ambushed by a chubby little blonde woman, that was about three feet tall.

          “Well slap my butt and call me Sally!” She exclaimed, rushing towards us. “Customers!” She had a heavy Southern accent, which didn’t make much sense, considering the fact that we were in California.

          “Darlene, I presume?” Nick said.

          “You are correct, sir.” She said, eying me and Nick with heavily made up eyes. “And can I just say that you two…are the cutest darn couple I’ve ever seen in my life! Are you here for a dress?”

          “Why yes. I was wondering if you could help my, er, fiancé here, while I go look for a suit.” Nick asked Darlene.

          Darlene turned to me. “Why sure, whatever you say handsome. Come along with me, darlin’, we’ll find you somethin’ real nice for your weddin’ day.”