Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"Home, sweet home." Nick sang, as we walked into his posh apartment. I sighed and sat down on the sofa, rubbing my temples in an attempt to get rid of the enormous headache that had developed there.

"Why didn't you tell me that the "wedding" was in a week?" I asked Nick. "I'm not ready."

I felt the couch dip as Nick sat down next to me. "Calm down Tessa, it's not like we're really going to get married." He said, as if I was being the most unreasonable person in the world.

I took my hands away from my face and looked up at him incredulously. "You're impossible."

"Now, now, my dear, you're doing it all wrong. We're not supposed to start fighting until we're married." Nick joked punching my arm lightly, trying to lighten up the mood.

"If we're going to start critiquing each other's performances, I have a few notes for you mister."

"Really? I thought I gave a rather convincing performance." Nick said.

I laughed. "Yeah if you were the star in an elementary school play, I'd say you did a fine job."

Nick nudged me with his shoulder. "You're mean, I don't think I want to marry you anymore."

"By all means, please set me free!" I pleaded, holding out my hands as I they were covered by invisible shackles.

He narrowed his eyes at me and mimed throwing a key away. "Nice try Tessa, but I'm afraid that you're stuck with me."

"Well, a girl can dream can't she?" I said, trying to sound disappointed.

A few moments of silence went by with us just sitting awkwardly side by side. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and spotted a remote lying on the table in front of me. I quickly grabbed it and turned on the TV, desperately trying to fill the silence.

Nick laughed. "Do I make you uncomfortable Tessa?"

I flipped through the channels, pretending to be absorbed with the task. "Nope, not at all." I told him. "I'm just bored."

Nick grabbed the remote out of my hand and switched off the TV.

"Hey!" I said. "I was watching that!"

"No you weren't." Nick told me. He voice was filled with confidence that was completely justified. "Married couples should know everything about each other, so let me know what there is to know about the mysterious Tessa Martin."

Mysterious eh? Speak for yourself Nick. "Well, there's not much to say." I told him truthfully. "My dad died when I was ten and she never remarried, so it was pretty much just us when I was growing up."

Nick's eyes widened, and he looked like he wanted to say something, but he remained silent.

I continued once it was apparent that he wasn't going to say anything. "I graduated from high school and went onto college to get my business degree."

"Business? Really?" Nick sounded surprised. "I would've pinned you as an art major."

"Am I going to have to start punishing you for interrupting me, Mr. Brady?" I tilted my head slightly, repeating the same sentence he said earlier today.

"Touché." Nick said, with a shadow of a smile on his face.

I stifled a laugh. "After college I began working, and that's pretty much it for me. What about you, Mr. Brady? What secrets do you have to share?"

"Now that," Nick said, suddenly shutting down."Is a story for another time."

"But you said-" I protested. Nick stopped me by putting a soft finger to my lips.