Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten                  

           “Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Brady!" Mr. Harrison said and held out his hand for us to shake. Nick and I both went into shake it at the same time and ended up awkwardly brushing our hands together. I blushed and pulled my hand away, letting Nick go for it.

            “Thank you Mr. Harrison, I’m glad that you and your lovely wife were able to make it.” He told them.

            Mrs. Harrison looked exactly as you would expect the wife of a Vice Principal to look like: clean cut and reserved.

            “It was a lovely service.” She smiled at us. “You two seem like you really love each other, I wish you the best.”

            “Thank you.” I said, but her words kept ringing inside of my head, “You two seem like you really love each other.”  She was just confused for some reason, right? She couldn’t possibly mean that…

            After we had accepted all of our congratulations, we ate dinner. Or at least tried to, after a few bites of the delicious, tender steak we were pulled onto the dance floor by Flora, who insisted that it was time for our first dance as a couple. We swayed together, in perfect sync with the music, A Thousand Years, just like we rehearsed. I know that it was wrong, but I was enjoying myself. I felt safe in his arms, as we slowly swayed back and forth, and I felt myself imagining what it would be like if we actually were married and had our first dance. No, not we, I meant me and my prince charming, of course. But no matter how hard I tried to picture my prince charming, Nick always appeared in his place. What was going on with me today? I needed to talk to Nick and figure out what was going on.

            I craned my neck to look Nick in the eye. “We should probably talk-“ I tried to say, but was interrupted when Robert tapped Nick on the shoulder.

            “Mind if I cut in?” I didn’t even realize that the song had ended, it was time for the traditional daddy daughter dance, or at least, the closest that I’d ever get to one.

            “No.” Nick answered quietly. We made awkward eye contact before he left, letting me know that he felt just as uncomfortable as I did.

            “I meant what I said earlier,” Robert said as we danced. “It’s been an honor being your father. Nick told me what happened, I’m sorry for your loss.”

            I felt kind of weird about Nick telling some random actor about my dad, but Robert seemed to be a nice guy, so I decided to let it slide. Just this once.

            “Thank you.” I told him after a minute of silence. “If it makes a difference, I think that you play a really great father.”

              “And you play a fantastic wife, Nick’s lucky to have you to help him.” Robert said, just as the music ended. He leaned closer to my ear. “And I think that you might just be lucky to have him too.” He whispered before leaving me. This day just got crazier and more confusing, as it went. I wanted to go curl up in a ball somewhere and sleep for a year, but I couldn’t. I never knew how exhausting a wedding was, or a fake one at least. And not just physically, mentally too.

            I dragged myself off of the dance floor and went to go get a drink, almost running into Justin on the way. Just my luck.

            “Well, well, well, would you look at that, my dear cousin Tessie’s all grown up now.” He mocked. “I was almost certain that I would get married before you, I guess I was wrong.”

            “Go away Justin, I’m not up for it today.” I said, trying to push past him.  

          He grabbed my arm, preventing me from moving. “Aww, poor Tessie, being a wife isn’t all it’s cracked up to be?”