Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen            

             Nick and I both woke up early the next morning. Nick, because he had to get ready for work, and me because I couldn’t sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, memories of last night came flooding back and I lost the ability to fall asleep. Needless to say, it was a long night. We both sat at the breakfast table at six o’clock, silent, eating what little Nick had left in his pantry.

            “What are you doing up so early, Tessa? You usually sleep in much later than this.” Nick asked me.

            “Couldn’t sleep.” I muttered, taking a bite out of my granola bar to avoid further questions.             Nick’s eyes widened with realization. “I’m so sorry Tess. I should’ve been there with you the whole time. I should’ve protected you. That guy should have never gone as far as he did.” He said, referring to the events that unfolded last night. “I promise you, I won’t let anybody like him ever touch you again. I promise."

            His words comforted me, though his promise wasn’t exactly meant to last through time. We couldn’t pretend to be married forever. Sooner or later, he’d decide that he didn’t need me anymore, and I’d have to leave his protection and go home. Where anybody and everybody could hurt me.             “Can we please just not do this right now? I had a long night.” I said, rubbing my temples, trying to soothe the headache that had appeared there.

            “Of course, Tessa.” Nick replied, standing up and grabbing his bag. “But sooner or later, we will have to talk about it.” He walked towards the door and grabbed the handle, but hesitated to open it, turning to me instead. “Please don’t leave the apartment today, Tess. Take a nap, read a book, catch up with your favorite show, I don’t care, just please don’t leave.”

            “Why?”

            “Because I don’t want you to get hurt.” He replied before leaving, and I'm pretty sure I saw a faint blush on his cheeks.

              I tried to take his advice, I really did, but after three hours of crap television and unsuccessful attempts on sleep, I was starting to feel caged in. Nick’s once-spacious apartment was starting to feel more like a prison than a safe haven and I decided that I needed to get out of here. I grabbed my purse and the extra key to the apartment and set out. It was a beautiful day out, warm and sunny, but the weather didn’t help my paranoia. Everyone that I crossed paths with on the sidewalk seemed like a threat after last night and I was terrified that I might see him again. I couldn’t bring myself to go back to the apartment though, I needed this, the fresh air and occupation, otherwise I’d go insane.

              After walking for a while, I found myself at the shopping complex that Nick and I walked through, on our way back to his apartment, after we met for the first time. It seemed like such a long time ago, when in reality it was only about three weeks. I felt like a completely different person now, reduced to paranoia and lies. Nick and I’s relationship was different now too, but I’m not sure if I have the words to explain it just yet…

            I walked around, silently for about an hour, just trying to decide where I wanted to go. The heat of the day reminded me just how long my hair was, and I decided to get a haircut, a fresh start that would make me feel more comfortable in the incoming summer months. I pushed open the door into the bustling salon, blasted by today’s hottest music and overly happy women with perfect hair. I was seated immediately, much to my surprise, by a peppy looking woman named Joanne. She was tall and super skinny with hair dyed a dark purple and chopped short in a stylish pixie cut. For a moment, I considered getting my hair cut like her’s, but opted against it. I wanted to go a little crazy, but not that crazy, and besides, I like to have a little length.