Scars Are What Make You Strong

Julia's POV:

My eyes slowly open, flittering unwillingly from the darkness sleep. I feel warm arms around my body, one across my chest and another on my waist. My back is warm too. The bed I'm laying on is soft with a deep blue blanket and the scent of mint chocolate chip fills my nose. I farrow my brows, confused.

Where am I? I wonder. Then, realization hit me. Never thought in my whole life would I be sleeping with him. Is this part of the mate bond thing, sleeping with your mate already? Or he just wants me close to him?

My breaths shorten, my chest rising and falling rapidly. I freak out and struggles against the hold of my mate. I feel him tighten his arms on me which make my panic attack worse. I start to trash, struggling and moving around like a worm. I hear him growls deeply and it frightens me. You probably expect me to fall for his growl, but no, it's deep and rumbling. That's what scares me, hearing him growling like that.

Truthfully, I have no clue what to expect of the mate bond.

I roll around in his arms, feeling his hold weakening. I finally managed to escape from him and I crawl off the bed. I drag myself across the deep soft grey carpet, my back's getting closer to the deep blue wall. My eyes never leave my mate as he gets up.

His eyes are strikingly blue, swirling with rejection and worries. His tall form moves towards me and I find myself stuck at the corner, no other way to escape from him. My breaths shorten even more. Terror deepens and takes over my body, silently telling me negatives things.

He's like him. He'll hurt me. He'll destroy me. Break me. Use, damage, or reject me.

"Julia." He utters so-oh softly, carefully walking to me as if he wish not to scare away a newborn fawn. "It's okay."

I shake my head. Nothing is okay. I'm not okay. I want to say. I have been abused, abandoned by my old pack, and have a great fear of male wolves. Nothing is okay and never will be for me.

Tears unknowingly run down on my cheeks which makes my mate whimpers with concern. He crouch down to face me with his ivory face, handsome in the dim light breaking through the curtains next to me. Is it morning or evening? How long have I been out?

"Hey. Look at me." He tries to call on me, hoping to have me focus on his face. But I can't. I just can't. Growing up with an abusive stepfather have me become afraid of meeting his eyes. He'll abuse me if I meet his eyes, I thought. He'll be just like Stepdad.

I violently finch when I feel warm arms wrapping around my small form and he pulls me towards him. He cradles me close to his chest, my head laying on it as my body trembles. I hear him shushing me softly, his lips dragging across my head. My rapid beating heart calms down, my breathing goes back to normal, and I take in the warmth buzzing on my skin.

I must not anger him. If I do, will he hurt me? Will he punish me for running away from him? Will he give me pain if I disobey him again?

"Why are you so afraid of me?" I hear him asks gently. "I understand you have been through bad things and I want you not to be afraid of me. I will never hurt you because you're my mate and I don't want to mess up this only chance of having a lifetime partner."

He called me his mate. Has he already accepted me as his little mate? Or is he just doing this so he can use me? I won't let anybody use or hurt me. Not anymore.

Being in his arms, it's hard for me to escape the strong mate bond between us right now. I desperately want to be away from him, but the inner part of me, the part of the mate bond, tells me no and stay. Soon enough, I'm completely relaxed in his arms, listening to the gently rhythms of his heart beating in his chest.