Chapter 9

When I got back to the flat that night after spending the rest of the afternoon with Ashley, I decided to do something I hadn't thought about since I arrived. I decided to unpack my bags.

I changed into a pair of Hansel's old boxer shorts and a long loose fitting pink night shirt that showed off my cleavage, and got to work. My knees becoming sore and dry as I knelt down into the wooly carpet in front of my suitcase and began to pull everything out to find a home for it.

Clothes went into the empty drawers, my electronics went on the nightside table, and my makeup and beauty supplies went on the desk on the far side of my bed. I threw my old blankets over my new bed and once the suitcase was entirely empty, I brushed off my sore knees and admired my work. This place was actually starting to feel less strange, and more comfortable to me. Setting up all my stuff just helped even more to adjust me to my new life. My room felt personable. With every glance around I saw me. No traces of Hansel anywhere, just me.

"Knock knock." A low voice cheerily sounded outside, accompanied by a light tap on my slightly cracked door. The door squeaked like a tiny mouse as the knock pushed it farther open, revealing a capless and freshly showered Dru peering into my room.

"Hi Dru." I smiled up at him, crossing my arms over my chest in fear of my night shirt being too revealing. That was the last thing Dru was interested in however, as his eyes were wandering around and making stops at every corner of my room.

"I see we've finally unpacked." He grinned. "I love what you've done with the place."

"Thank you." I answered kindly, uncrossing my arms from my chest once I realized that Dru wasn't that kind of guy, and placing them back at my sides. "I think I'm finally feeling a little more at home here."

He smiled, and I could tell that he was really touched that I wanted to stay here. "I'm glad." He said. "Hey, since you're feeling a little better, the guys and I were thinking about having a night out and going out to get some drinks. Ash and I discussed you tagging along and thought it'd be a good idea."

"I couldn't..." I started. "I mean, I wouldn't wanna get in your way or anything. I'm sure I could entertain myself here somehow...like walk all the floors of the complex...or find a one player game on your Xbox...or..-"

"Mini." Dru snapped. "What happened to feeling more at home here? We want you to come."

"Baby steps." I squeaked. Dru just glared at me, tapping his foot, and I knew he wasn't going to give up until he got what he wanted. "Fiiineee." I grunted. "I'll change and be out in a few."

"Score!" Dru exclaimed, over-dramatically fist bumping the air as he shut my door, leaving me alone to get ready. I rolled my eyes and smirked. I liked Dru. not in the way I liked Ashley, but he was pretty friendly and carefree and fun to hang out and just goof off with. He reminded me of a giant child...with a beard. What a scary thought.

~

Flashing lights hit my face, flickering rapidly back and forth between black and white, illuminating my shiny gold dress. I could feel the bass from the cranked stereo jumping in my throat. As I trailed behind my three new roommates, the booming atmosphere of the club reminded me exactly why I hated outings such as these.

The lights were blinding, the noises deafening, and my head, without the aid of alcohol, felt cloudy and unfocused. I had agreed to come because I saw this as an opportunity to get to know the guys more, and maybe let loose and have some fun without having to say 'No Zoe, I'm not touching the vodka.' That would certainly be a relief.

"It's quite loud!" I shouted, my voice barely cutting through the mixture of booming stereo, clinking drinks, and various voices singing and chit chatting from the sea of people on the dance floor we were pushing through to grab seats.