Chapter 2: No Fucking Communication

Three night after my birthday, a vampire attacked and killed my father, its vampire-bird ran my mother to the ground while they were running out of the house. I screamed for her to run faster, faster, oh, God, but it swooped down on the back of my mother’s head and started pecking and tearing. My mother fell, her eyes open but she wasn’t seeing a thing. Blood from her neck gushed onto the sidewalk beneath a lamp post, and it looked like her shadow was seeping out of her body.

Hiding in the bushes, heaving, I waited it out. Then I ran the other way, in nothing but a black lace dress, some petticoats, my boots and a long black coat. I tried to get to Kyle’s house but whole blocks exploded in front of me, and others whooshed up in flames like paper lanterns. Weeping and gasping, I phoned him over and over, I texted with shaking hands. No service, no service, beepbeepbeep.

I raced in circles to get past the fires as the smoke boiled up into the dotted clouds of clack-clack-clacking birds. By four days after my birthday, the streets were a real jungle. The survivors were as vicious as the street dogs the vampire-birds had eaten: hoarding food, and threatening to kill each other over safe places to sleep and water bottles. I had some experience with hostility, from when I had gone drug mad. Rehab and a lot of love had redeemed me, but the old lessons were not forgotten.

Dodging vampire-birds and madmen, I stole tons of phones—or maybe only took them since on one was left alive in the stores to ring up the sales—but there was really, really no service. Trying to find one that worked became an addiction. At least it gave me something to do, other than hide, and run. My therapist, Dr. Smith, used to caution me to ease up, not to use my brain quite so much. He said I had to let go of loving Kyle because people who were gay were gay, there wasn’t going to be a change of heart no matter how much I wanted it.

I tried to find a cybercafé that the vampires hadn’t gutted, but there were none to be found. I broke into an office building and tried their computers, but they were fried. I wondered how the vampires did it, I was sure it was part of their plot to take over the world.

Just like the vampires I slept during the day, in the brightest light I could find, my black coat covering my like a tomb. Even though I had never been a Catholic, I prayed to God of the crucifix, because crucifixes could hold the vampires at bay. I wanted to pray at St. Patrick’s Cathedral but it was too dark and enclosed, I could almost hear the vampires hissing in the chapels lining the sanctuary. My lips were cracked and chapped. I was filthy. But maybe God would help me anyway.

Please, God, please, God, please, God, please, God, please, please, please don’t let Kyle get burned to death or sucked dry by the demons AMEN.

A/N Thanks for all the reads and what do you think??

I apologise i will only be able to update on Monday SORRY!