Chapter 8: The Choice

“No,” I begged. “Don’t do it, please Edan. Don’t change him.”

Edann blinked at me. Then he laughed. “Honey, that’s what love is all about, don’t you know?”

I doubled up fists and bit my knuckles. He lifted an eyebrow. “I smell fresh bloo-ood,” he sang. “Yours. It smells great. If you were alone in the ocean, the sharks would come and chew you up. Alone in the forest, it would be wolves. Alone in the city it’s us.”

Vampires. “How… how did this happen to you?”

He ignored me. “I’m going to give you a choice, girlfriend. The choice is this: You change, or he can change. The other one for you… is blood in the water.” He moved his shoulders. “I’ll let you pick.”

I stared at him. “What are you saying?”

“God, you are so stupid. So incredibly, moronically stupid. I could never figure out why he loved you.” He shook his head.

Why did it matter, I wondered, when Kyle still loved him more?

“Does it even matter which way I choose?” I asked. “You don’t even like me.” Of course he would choose Kyle to change and let me die.

“Maybe it doesn’t matter. Maybe I just want to see what you’d say,” he told me. “I’m giving him the same choice.”

I stared at him in mute terror.

“I told him that I would change you if he asked me to.” He folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the back of the door. He didn’t look different at all-he was the same surf-charmer Edann.

“You know I’ll say change him,” I said. My voice sure and strong, unlike what I was actually feeling. What did I have to live for after all? Only Kyle. And if he were gone…

“Be right back,” he said, turning to go.

“Why are you doing this?” I ask.

He didn’t turn back around, just looked at me over his shoulder, as if I was being a nuisance. “I don’t know why he is so loyal to you. He doesn’t love me the way he loves you.” Edann attempts to explain.

“But he loves me,” I say, as I realize. “That’s why…”

He turned around and stared at me. The expression on his face was the most frightening thing I had ever seen. I took another step back, and another. I bumped into the wall. He raised his chin, opened the door, and left. I paced. I thought about drinking the cleaner. I tried to break the mops and brooms to make a wooden stake; I couldn’t so much as crack them.

I fell to my knees and prayed to He/She/It/Them, Get us out of here, get us out of here, come in, God, please just help! If…

The door opened, and Edann came back in, grinning like someone who had finally, really, gotten what he wanted. Triumph was written all over his face. He looked taller, meaner. Ready to kill me.

“Kyle will be changing,” he said. “You both made the same choice.”

I jerked. No, he wouldn’t.

“And you’ll be his first meal. Have you ever seen a newly changed vampire? All they want to do is suck someone’s blood. That’s all I wanted to do.”

“You’re lying,” I started. “Kyle would never…” But Kyle would. He hadn’t asked me if I wanted to leave his parents’ house to help him look for Edan. He had put me in harm’s way, for Edann. He didn’t love me the way he loved Edann. Lovers did things differently than friends.

“If it makes you feel better you feel any better, he feel terrible about it.” Edann sneered at me.

“He’s going to hate you for making him do this.” I said. “He’ll never forgive you.” I was talking to a vampire. To a vampire that was going to kill me. To a gay vampire who was going to turn Kyle into a gay vampire. I felt reality slipping away. This wasn’t happening.

“I’m going to fetch him now,” he said, going for a smile, not quite pulling it off. Irritated he slammed the door.

I stood as still as one of those mops I couldn’t turn into a vampire stake. My heart hammered in my chest and I had no idea how I could hear all that thumping and pumping because I was

at the door

at the door

at the door

pounding and screaming to be let out.

Mrs Gray was going to have a change of heart and rally all the people in the gym and rescue me.

Edann was going to open the door and take me in his arms, and tell me that he’d been so mean to me because he actually love me, not Kyle. That he only pretended to love Kyle so he could stay close to me. And that he wouldn’t kill either of us, not if I didn’t want him to.

Edann was going to tell me that he was sorry, both of them could be changed, and they would go on as they were, as a trio, only nicer, like Dorothy, the Tin Woodsman and the Scarecrow.

Edann was going to see some other hot guy on the way back to Kyle and fall in love with him instead, change him and leave.

Kyle was going to escape, find me, and we would get out of Rustenburg together.

I pounded at the door as I remembered the night Kyle had confessed that he had met someone else… a guy someone else… and he had cried because he didn’t want to hurt me, his best friend. “I will always love you totally and forever, I promise,” he had said.

The door opened and I scrambled backward away from it as fast as I could. My elbow rammed into a container of cleaner. Throw it at them. Do something. Save yourself. Edann and Kyle stood close together. Edan had his arm around Kyle and Kyle still had his baggy raincoat on. Kyle, as far as I could tell, was still human. His bangs were in his eyes. He was looking at the floor, as if he couldn’t stand to look at me.

“No,” I whispered. But it must have been a yes, he must have told Edann to change him. Edann was going to change him and then he was going to kill me.

My heart broke. I was on the verge of going completely crazy, all over again.

Edann took a step towards me. “If it makes you feel any better, it’s not going to hurt when I change him,” he promised. He sounded bizarrely sincere. He shut the door. The three of us stood in the cramped space. I was only two steps away from them.

Edann placed both hands on Kyle’s shoulders and turned Kyle towards him. Tears were streaming down Kyle’s cheeks. He looked young and scared.

Edann threw back his head and hissed. Fangs extended from his mouth.

And Kyle whipped his hand into the jacket pocket; pulling out a jagged strip of wood-

-Yes!-

-and he glanced at me-

-Yes!-

- and as Edann prepared to sink his fangs into Kyle’s neck, I rammed Edann as hard as I could. He must have seen it coming, must have guess-but Kyle got the stake into him, dead centre of his unbeating heart. Edann started down at it, then at Kyle, as blood began to pour down the front of him. The he laughed, once, and blew Kyle a kiss. He looked at me-gargled, “Bitch,” his throat full of his own blood-then slid to the floor like, now dead once and for all.

*I'm sorry if there are any spelling mistakes ect. Please comment, vote :) I hope you like my story and I'm just saying IT"S NOT FINISHED. More chapters will be updated as soon as i can :) Also can i just say, 80 reads XD Thanx for your support and please keep reading :)*