Chapter 7: Edann

Then I heard someone crying, it was muffled as if there were trying not to make any noise. I raised my head slightly and realized it was Mrs Gray. I slowly detangled myself from Kyle then rocked over quickly to my side and sat up. I walked over to where the woman was sitting in a chair, facing the rows and rows of beds. She looked as if she had just thrown up.

“Hey,” I said uncertainly. “Mrs Gray. Is very thing alright?”

“Oh God,” she whispered, lowering her gaze to her hands. “Oh, God. Kayla. You’re still here. I was hoping…” She turned her head away.

“What?” I asked.

She took a deep breath and let it out. She was shaking like crazy. “I need you to come with me for a second.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Just… come.” She wouldn’t look at me. I shifted. “Please.”

Mrs Gray got up out of her chair and walked out of the gym. The overhead fluorescent lights were on. I followed her past the coaches’ room, past the rows upon row of lockers and then tough another door into the shower area. Mrs Gray cleared her throat and said, “She’s here.” Then she stepped back and slammed the door between herself and me.

I tried to bolt.

Edann was there and he was a vampire. I’m so fucked, is all I could think. All the colour in his long, narrow face was gone. His eyes looked glazed, as if he was on drugs. And I would know. He grabbed me, wrapping his arms around me like a boyfriend; I smelled his breath, smelt like stale blood. He wasn’t cold; he was room tempreture. I was completely numb. My heart was skipping beats.

I wet my pants.

“I’m glad to see you too,” he said, grinning at me.

She set me up. She gave me to him. That bitch.

He wrapped his hands around my bicep abd dragged me forward. I burst into tears and tried to keep them silent. He clampted his other dead hand over my mouth so hard I thought my front teeth were going to break off.

“Shut up,” he hissed, chuckling. “I’ve wanted to say that to you forever. Shut up, shut up, shut up.”

I kept whimpering, I couldn’t stop. Maybe he knew that; he dragged me along with his hand over my mouth. His fingernails dug into my arm but I didn’t feel it. Edann walked me into a storage room where they kept cleaning supplies-brooms, mops, big jugs of cleaner. I started screaming behind his hand and he slapped me, hard. Then he slammed me against the wall, really hard. With a gasp, I bounced back off the wall and fell onto my arse. He slammed the door, leaving me in utter darkness. With a sob, I crawled to it and started too pound on it.

“DON’T,” he hissed from the other side.

He’s going to get Kyle, I thought. Oh, God, he’s going to make him a vampire. That’s what he’s here for.

Maybe he will let me go?

But why would he? He is the King of Bitter. And I would never leave without Kyle. I fumbled for a light switch, found one, and turned on the wonderful light. My arm was bleeding and it had finally begun to sting. I wondered what it would be like when Edann made-

The door burst open and Edann came back inside. His eyes were glittering. He looked crazy. “Kyle says hi.”