Chapter 4: The Anniversary

Chapter 4 – The Anniversary

_______________________________________________

          “Bec… Come on, open up I know you’re in there.” Guess who?

         “Not today, Steven.”

         “I brought your notes and book. Come on, let me in, I’ll even watch that shit movie you like so much.” I pull the sheets off my body and trudge over to the door of my bedroom revealing Steven, dressed in sweatpants and a football sweat shirt – from what I’m assuming was his old school. “You look even worse than I do.” I let out an exhausted breath and step aside to let him in. Walking past me, he pecks my forehead quickly and I look at I’m questionably.

         “I thought you came here to give me my notes.” I’m trying to attempt to get him out of here as quick as possible. Today I’m going to visit Macy… Macy’s grave.

         “What’s going on, did you find someone new to put up with you.” He smiles, lying back onto my bed.

         “No…”

         “Well then it looks like I’m staying, what do you say we go out to get something to eat? Ricky’s Diner is still open and it’s only four, so not a lot of people are there.” He’s become quite aware that I don’t go anywhere in the day if there are a lot of people after this last week or so.

         “Steven, I–”

         “Nope, you’ve already agreed, so put on some pants and be downstairs in my car in five minutes, or I’m coming back.” He stands up and walks out of the room without another word. Tugging on the first pair of jeans my eyes set on I’m stumbling down the steps trying to button them until I’m finally in his car. “Don’t you look pretty?” He smiles and pulls out of my driveway and off to the diner.

         I scoot into the booth while Steven chats up a waitress that stopped him on the way in. This gives me time to think about how I can get out of here quick without him badgering me until I tell him why.  And I know he’ll ask, and ask, and ask.

         “I’ll have chili cheese fries and a vanilla milkshake,” my eyes have refocused, noticing he’s been at the table throughout my thoughts, “Bec.”

         “I’m not really hungry.” I smile handing the waiter my menu

         “She’ll have a Coney Dog, without onions.” I stare at him in disbelief that he’s memorized that I don’t like onions. “Don’t look at me like that, after you said it for the twentieth time at my house it stuck. I promise I’m not in love with you.”

         I sit quietly and listen to Steven rambling on about something that has to do with the new dint in his truck and pick at the side of fries that came with my hot dog. Nodding, smiling, and occasionally laughing with him is disguising that I’m not interested in talking at all. But I can’t take it anymore.

         “I’m going to go to the bathroom really quick.” He nods and takes a fork full of fries in his mouth. I keep my head down walking and fidget with my bracelets on my wrist until someone stops me. I turn to see a waiter – around my age – twenty at the most.

         “Excuse me, miss.” He comes from behind the counter and steps in front of me, shoving his hands into his washed out jeans.

         “Is there a problem?” I look at him skeptically.

         “Uh no, well yes, but not for you… For me, you and that guy have been here for about almost a half hour and I haven’t been able to take my eyes off of you,” I laugh at his comment – because not only is it cute, but because he really has no idea what he’s trying to get himself into, “I’m John.”