Chapter 14 : The Unfaithful Incident

Megan POV

I pulled out my earphones and rolled them into a bundle as soon as the cab pulled over infront of my flat at Church Road. Peering out the window, I could see the clouds thinning out, and the rain reduced to a mere light drizzle. I silently thanked God that I didn't have to heave my drunken dad all the way up the steps to the entrance.

I gently shook my dad from his deep slumber, earning me a groan from him as he reluctantly stirred from his nap. He leaned against the car seat, exhaling loudly. Dad looked at me with heavy lidded eyes.

"What? Where are we, Megan?" he asked hoarsely. Dad winced from the brightness, cursing under his breath. He pressed his fingers on his throbbing skull, frowning as he closed his eyes shut. After a few moments, he finally opened his eyes and peered out the window, the frown never leaving his face.

A wave of recognition washed over him, and he turned rigid. He turned to me, lightning blue eyes turning my bones cold.

"Why are we here, Megan?" he asked dryly through gritted teeth. He clenched his jaw as he looked at me with a hard expression. I involuntarily shrunk back, as if sinking into my seat could escape his wrath.

No, Megan. You will not be scared of his temper. Not today. I won't let him see me being vulnerable. I shrugged impassively. "We're home. What do you mean why?"

"You know what I mean. Why am I here, and not at Norfolk Square?" he asked slowly, trying to contain the venom in his voice.

"Well, incase you forgot, you're drunk. It didn't feel right to leave you alone there, especially in your current state. Besides, Evelyn's still at work, so she'd only come home after 9. It's 3 o'clock now," I said, looking at my watch. Dad sighed, keeping his fingers on his temple as he massaged it.

"I won't be alone, Megan. The housekeeper is around. I'm sure she's more than capable of taking care of me. I'm not some child to be supervised," he barked angrily.

Dad seemed to have slightly sobered up after his nap. His breath still reeked of alcohol, and he was occasionally disoriented, but he was sober enough to regain the steely edge, not hesitating to spout venom or breath fire at me. I wouldn't be surprised if he did breath fire. With that much amount of flammable alcohol consumed, I'm pretty sure it was possible. If you're willing to overlook the near-death risk that is.

For some reason, I preferred him being the crazy banged up man at a bus stop. At least he was anything but angry.

"At least let me clean you up. Then we'll call your driver to come and pick you up. How does that sound?" I asked gently, putting a hand on his shoulder. Dad slightly relaxed, and turned to me, his expression softening.

"If you say so." he grumbled. Dad attempted to smoothen his crinkled damp suit, but he gave up after realising only dry cleaning and ironing the suit would return it to tip top condition. I grabbed his cold damp suit jacket, and opened the cab door. Dad shuffled out after me, softly closing the cab door. He winced when the cab quickly drove off, it's tires screeching against the road.

He looked up towards the apartment, sighing. He seemed uncertain to step inside, but nonetheless followed me to the elevator, bringing us up to our 4-bedroom duplex apartment. After pausing in front of the apartment door, he turned to me. "Is your mother home?"

I looked at him puzzled. "No. Mom's out with some friends. She won't be back until later tonight."

At that, Dad looked extremely relieved. "Would be complicated if she was home." he muttered, shrugging at me.

I kept silent, but I understood what he implied. Though it wouldn't be just complicated, it would be like hell breaking loose in my apartment. I guess it was a wrong move on my part to bring him here, instead of bringing him to his apartment over at Norfolk Square. His was nearer to the city, where he shared it with his new wife, Evelyn.