Chapter 20

I watched our love slowly die as you became comforted by his lies.
-A. E

It's been a month since I had a complete meltdown in my parents living room and now I was back at college. I pushed open my dorm door and stepped in. Dropping my keys on the desk I began stripping as I made my way to the bathroom. My roommate wasn't in and I was thankful.

I must admit I was a bit surprised when Roni didn't switch rooms. After she had stormed out on me and moved in with Anthony I hadn't seen or heard from either of them. I had stupidly hoped that I might have ran into her over the last few days but I didn't. The shock of my life came when I walked into my dorm room that following Sunday and saw her sitting there talking to three other girls. She spoke to me like nothing happened and well, the rest is history.

Turning on the tap, I allowed the tub to full while I brushed my teeth and scrubbed my face. Today had been a very long day of labs and presentations and all I wanted to do was take a hot bath and go to sleep. The odds were never in my favor. I literally had fifteen minutes to get changed before I had to report for work at the famous Ritz hangout spot.

I rinsed my face and took a step into the bathtub. Letting a moan out I allowed the warm water to cover me before I closed my eyes and welcomed the sweet therapeutic massage of the water against my tense skin while my brain unconsciously travelled back in time. I remembered how difficult it was not being able to talk to my best friend. She avoided me like the plague and most nights she slept out of the room.

She never made eye contact and whenever she had to speak to me she was cold and professional. All our friends noticed it and by the end of that first week Brian was the only one left talking to me. I sat alone for lunch, labs and even for normal classroom sessions. I wanted to cry and have a total meltdown but honestly, I didn't see the point.

Every time I crossed path with Anthony my skin would get goosebumps and I would feel myself physically shrinking in his presence. Most of the time Roni was with him but she never made eye contact with me. It would just be him mocking me and sending various threats in my direction. I was tempted many times to tell Brian or even my parents but I was too afraid and I had a right to be. He had the ability of not only hurting me, but ruining my life in one swing.

I jumped as I heard voices in the adjoining room and I placed my hands over my heart as I willed it to beat regularly. From the sounds I heard it was clear that Roni was back with one of her friends. I cautiously stood up and allowed the water to drain before grabbing a towel and wrapping it around myself. When I was convinced enough to step out I saw that Christina was collecting some notes from her before leaving. I was about to turn around and head back into the bathroom to hide until she too left but she turned around and our eyes made four.

"I'll be leaving in a second." I said, trying to put her at ease.

"Oh-Kay?" She responded before heading over to her bed.

I walked over to my vanity and collected my work clothes before turning to head back to the washroom. A soft voice halted my steps.

"Carr?"

I inhaled and exhaled slowly.

"Yes?" I replied, heart in hands.

"Can we talk?"

Can we talk? Those were the words I longed to hear but at this exact moment in time I knew not how to respond or if I should respond. I stood frozen, back to her and a racing heart within my chest.

"Carr?" She called again and I unconsciously jumped.

"I'm late for work." Was my frightened reply before I was sprinting for the bathroom.

-------------

"Hey beautiful."

I looked up to see Brian bracing his car and looking oh so hot.

"Hey hot stuff."

"Need a ride?"

"Why thank you so much." I said in my fake princess voice.

I had finished work five minutes ago and I had no idea how I would have gotten a cab since my battery was dead and it was after midnight. Brian must have been waiting on me quite a while since he normally came off of work at ten.

I smiled up at him as he opened the passenger side door and got in. The car smelt lovely and warm and I couldn't stop myself from inhaling deeply.

"Are you okay?" He asks as he pulls out of the parking lot.

"Yeah, just tired."

"Will you be able to make it to class tomorrow?"

"I think so."

"Hmm."

"What?" I turned towards him and he kept his gaze to the road.

"Nothing."

"Brian! Tell me."

"I spoke to Anthony today."

My heart started creating symphonies with the rest of my bodily organs as the blood rushed throughout me. I had no idea why but all I knew was that it could never be good.

"What did you guys talk about?"

"You."

I gulped. This definitely couldn't be good. "What about me?"

"Well we spoke about a lot of things but you should already know what we really talked about."

"Me being a lesbian." I whispered and stared ahead.

"Yeah... Well he didn't exact like the concept and I knew he wouldn't. We all know his beliefs."

That we do.

"Anyhow, after he started getting all worked up and what not I kinda told him you were bi..." Brian turned to me for a split second before shifting his gaze.

"You told him I was what?"

"You know... Bi, as in bi curious."

"As in I'm straight but wanted to know what it felt like to sleep with girls?" I asked as I started to get annoyed. Brian obviously detected it since he was quick to interject.

"Look, I only said that to save your ass okay."

"To save my ass? Dude he already knows about me-"

"No he doesn't! All he knew was that he walked in on his girl sleeping naked next to another at some party."

"You don't know what he knows!" I shouted and immediately regretted it.

The car plunged into a deafening silence that I nearly drowned from the intensity of it.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Brian asks softly.

"Nothing." I say hurriedly as I avoided eye contact.

To my dismay Brian pulls the car over and turns to look at me.

"Carr I know something is going on that nobody wants to talk about. I might not be the type of guy to get knee deep in someone's business but that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to everything. I was there the night Ron left and even though I was a bit drunk, I wasn't brain dead. I know you don't have many friends anymore because Tony and Ron made sure of that and I know when my best bro and the girl I used to bang, is lying to me.
So I ask you one last time... What's that supposed to mean?"

I stared at the only guy that, up until now, has stuck by me. I was plagued by two difficult decisions. Either I tell him that the guy he's known since forever is a crazy bastard that hit girls and watch their relationship die, not to mention me when Anthony does find out, or do I lie my ass off to the one guy that has done nothing wrong. Should I leave him in the dark about all this and let him live on in blissful ignorance? Or do I tell him and watch a lifelong friendship die?

I looked at him once more and saw his awaiting stare.

"Trust me Brian, you don't want to know."

"Try me."

Well?!