Chapter 23

The hardest thing you can do is hide yourself from the world.  It's always sad when you feel invisible to not only people but to yourself.
-A. E

"Hi mom."

"Hi sweetheart. I've been meaning to call but you know how hectic it can get over here.  We've been planning since last month to get the fundraiser up to standards."

"Yeah mom I know,  it's okay.  I've been busy with so many assignments and projects so I didn't really mind it."

"Yeah, so how's Veronica? I haven't seen her in a while."

"She's good..."

My heart skipped a beat as I was caught off guard by my mom's question. I knew that she would eventually ask about Roni since we were best friends and roommates and she hadn't see her when they had gotten home that Sunday afternoon.

"Oh... I hardly hear from her, so I just thought."

"We're fine mom... I'm gonna have to talk to you later."

" Wait, Carol?"

"Yes mom?" I asked, wanting nothing more than to get rid of her.

"You would talk to me if something was the matter, right?"

"Of course." I lied.

"Okay sweetheart, love you."

"Love you too mom."

I took a deep breath as my heart started racing for some unforeseen reason. I threw myself onto the bed and closed my eyes as I processed my life, a thing I did way too often. When they reopened I was surprised to see Brian as he walked into my dorm room.

"Oh my gosh! Dude? What the hell?" I yelled as I hurriedly grabbed the sheet and wrapped it around myself.

"Aren't we pass this by now?"

"Seriously? You walk in on me wearing little to nothing and that's what you say?"

"Oh baby,  it's not my first time." He responds and smirks as he sits on the edge of my bed.

I laughed at his boldness and I allowed the sheets to fall from around me, exposing the black bra and undies I had on. Brian smirked at me and I had the overwhelming urge to tease him. I grabbed the first shirt I found and pulled it on before I rejoined him on the bed.

"So are you back at school?" I asked as I sat down.

"Yeah, principal Henry gave me three days suspension and Anthony got a week."

"Only a week? He deserves expulsion."

"Oh come on Carr, don't be so cruel. He's a good guy, it's just that he doesn't know how to handle his anger issues."

"Are you seriously defending him?"

"No, there is no excuse for his actions, but I'm just saying don't destroy his life because of it."

"I could have been dead Brian! He could have destroyed my life." I shouted, shocked that he was defending that dirtbag.