Prologue and Chapter One~What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

Prologue

'You're not in Sherwood anymore". She said to herself. But this wasn't California, either. Aylaina MacLeod checked her surroundings. She saw bulkheads and the place where she stood was a metal catwalk. 'This must be a ship.' Aylaina reasoned with herself. Raising her eyes from the floor, she saw two people. A man and a woman were walking toward her. When they saw Aylaina, they froze in their tracks.

The woman was tall, bronzed skin and lovely, with thick wavy brown hair she wore in a pony tail. The man was blond, with surfer-boy good looks.

Zoe and Wash were shocked to see a woman appear out of nowhere. She had red, gold and brown hair, with green eyes that shined like that of a cat's. She was short in stature but she looked strongly built. She had an attractive, though not beautiful face and she looked a little dazed.

"Where did you come from?" Zoe asked, her body tensed.

"And how did you get on this ship?" Wash, equally tense, was amazed that someone could get on board before they had left their last port. And without anyone noticing! Both of them instinctively put their hands to the hilts of their weapons strapped to their sides. The woman set the pack she was carrying on the metal walkway.

Aylaina lifted her hands. While putting one to her breast pocket, she began to say, "Just let me...."

That was all she could get out before the woman kicked her hand and the tracker flew over the rail of the catwalk. Aylaina immediately went into defense mode. The man stood back as Aylaina and the woman traded blows.

Zoe was hard pressed to stop this woman. Almost every blow was deflected. The woman kicked high with her left leg but Zoe avoided it and came at the woman with her own. This proved a challenge for both women as the catwalk was narrow.

Aylaina knew this woman had more leg than she, but Aylaina had the advantage of being small and was able to dip and turn without the other woman's' blows too often connecting. She caught a fist in the jaw, however, but was able to return the favor. This continued for quite some time. Aylaina was tiring. The other woman was very skilled and strong as well.

Wash decided that maybe this fight was never going to end, so he pulled out his weapon.

"That's enough, lady!" He shouted as he aimed his gun at Aylaina. "Leave off my wife!"

Aylaina heard the click of a hammer being pulled back so she stepped back putting up her hands.

"Whadya do that for?" Zoe barked at Wash. "I almost had her!"

Aylaina rolled her eyes as if to say, 'Yeah. Right!' But she knew it was true.

Wash said, "I know, Honey, but let's just find out what she's all about. Okay?"

Aylaina was still panting from the exertion as was Zoe. They both were battered and bruised but none the worse for the wear.

"So what's your story?" Zoe questioned. "Where'd you learn to fight like that?" Even though she knew she had the woman, Zoe was still impressed.

"U.S. Marines. Is this an aircraft carrier?" Aylaina asked, once more peering at her surroundings.

"We've been known to carry aircraft, but I don't think you're in a position to be asking questions." Zoe replied.

"Is this an American vessel?" Aylaina, ignoring her statement, continued her questions. "Hm? Navy?"

"American!" Wash exclaimed. "Where you been, lady?" There ain't no 'American' anything no more."