Chapter Three~That's No Lady, That's My Wife

Chapter Three~

That’s No Lady, That’s My Wife

Bruce lived in a quaint little village about five miles from Londonia.  It was called, of course, Locksley!  The Alliance gave their employees land to live on and had houses built for them.  A senior employee was allowed to name the town.  Pete and Nicky lived here, too so I assumed Pete had named the place.  I didn’t ask where Lucas lived.  The less I saw of him, the better.

We pulled into the driveway and nearly a half dozen kids came running out the front door to greet their father.  I suppose they wanted to see the strange time travel lady, as well because one of the older boys was pushed toward me.  He looked at me with awe.  Like I was a circus freak or something.

“Are you an alien?”  the boy asked.  I had to laugh, he was so serious.

Bruce began to gather the kids together.  “Now, let’s just get inside before we start with all the questions.”  He swatted the littlest child on the bottom.

Once inside, Bruce’s wife settled the children down and Bruce introduced us.

“Beth, this is Aylaina MacLeod, Aylaina, my wife, Beth.  This is my oldest boy, John and here’s Katie.  She’s seven.”

Katie corrected her father.  “No I’m not!  I’m seven and a half!”  she exclaimed.  ‘Some things never change,’ I thought with amusement.

Bruce continued down the line.  “This is Billy, George and little Sarah.  She’s the babe at two years old.”  He picked her up and kissed her all over her face.  She giggled with the sweetest laugh I have ever heard. 

“It’s very nice to meet you.”  I said, shaking each child’s little hand.

Katie ran to her dad’s side.  Holding his hand, she said,  “She sounds like us Daddy.  I thought you said she was an alien.”

Bruce clicked his tongue.  “I never said such thing.”  He replied, with a feigned scold in his tone.  “She from a long time ago.  Remember, I told you about time travel.  Well this lady’s father invented it in the year 2020.”

“You must be ancient!”  John said.  “How old ARE you?”

Beth spoke up.  John!”  she exclaimed.  “That is very rude.”

“That’s okay.”  I said to Beth.  To young John, I said, “As far as I know I’m 35.”

“But you’re from,”  He began to calculate with his fingers.  “ 500 years ago!  You should be 500 and 35.”

“Hm. “ I replied.  “I think you’re right.  Well, all I can say is we McLeod's hold our age quite well!”  I laughed and so did the kids. 

Their attention led them to other things and Bruce, Beth and I sat at the dinner table.  This house could have been from the 21st century.  It was no different than the ones back home.

“Aylaina,”  Beth began.  “perhaps you would like a shower before supper.”

“I’d love one!”  I returned,  “but I only have the clothes I’m wearing.”

“Don’t ye be worrying about that.”  Bruce comforted.  “I sized you up and told Beth.  She bought you some clothes to wear.”    He smiled broadly.

"Thank you, both.”  I rejoined.

Beth took me by the hand.  “Come upstairs.”  she entreated.  “I’ll show you where everything is.”

Ah, it felt so good to have a hot shower.  It had been so long since I had one.  The bath at Robin’s manor was the best I had while living in the forest.  I had to bath in the river.  But this!  This was heaven!