Chapter 5 - Bakery boy - C

"I'm hungry."

"I told you to eat breakfast!"

"I wasn't hungry then though."

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It helps your body to have an energized start and mak..."

I slowly tuned out on the conversation with my mum and studied the scenery outside the car window. There was a lot of things you could miss if you didn't pay attention to the world. Kids were playing with a football, kicking it around and playing dodge the traffic when it went onto the road. A street performer on the path was juggling several different objects, and challenging the standards of the art. Houses and apartments and shops and schools and places to just hang out, everything had a place in this society, and I felt like I was invading this peaceful settlement. However this was not the time for reflections, as there was a bigger issue at hand...

"Mum?"

"What do you want Charlotte?"

"... I'm still hungry."

"Ugh fine. Sphen? Do you know any good places for food around here?"

My dad's friend, who had offered to drive us around and give a tour for free, turned his head.

"Well, I do know a really nice bakery that's actually not that far away from here, if you want to check that out."

"Hmm, sure, let's go!"

--------

Smells of fresh buns and cakes filled my nose and I felt nostalgia hit me as my eyes scanned the items in front of me, stopping when they reached the boy in charge of the counter.

I don't know what it was about him, but I took an instant liking to what I saw.

Brown curly hair, amazing eyes which opened up a portal to another world, and a smile brighter than the sun.

Leaving my parents to their own devices I decided to go approach him as casually as I was able to.

I checked out his name bag, but it was upside down.

"You interested in buying something?"

Not realising he was talking to me, I continued to attempt to find out his name.

"Hey! My eyes are up here, perv."

Embarrassed, my head jerked up, but I slowly relaxed when I saw he was clearly joking.

"So, you going to order anything?"

"Hmmm..." I studied my options. "Do you have anything vegetarian?"

"Oh, don't worry about that. All of our products are vegan friendly. After all, the owner of this store is vegan."

"How convenient. That increases my options a lot. How am I ever going to decide what to get?"

"Don't worry, I have the same problem everyday and I've worked here for a year."

I laughed, then thought about it.

"Well then, surprise me. Pick whatever one you like the most here and I'll get it."

"Wow, we only just met and we're already sharing such personal information!" He laughed before he left and then returned with a brown paper bag.

"That'll be £2.50, thank you."

Rummaging through my pocket, I eventually got the right amount.

"Sorry, I'm still getting used to this currency rather than New Zealand money."

"Oh you're from New Zealand are you? Is it nice?"

"Yeah, if you don't mind the fact that there's almost nothing to do at all once you've done the major things."

"I've always wanted to visit. Sounds nice."

"Yeah." I turned around and searched for my parents, and they were waiting for me by the door. "Listen, I better go. It was nice talking to you bakery boy."

"You too, kiwi bird."