When it rains 2

When it rains 02.

Where does every story truly begin? In life, there are seldom clear-cut beginnings, those moments when we can, in looking back, say that everything started. Yet there are moments when fate intersects with our daily lives, setting in motion a sequence of events whose outcome we could never have forseen.

2 years earlier...

"Seohyun-ah! We found a heart donor!"

Seohyun didn't flinch in the news as she continued to stare out of the window watching as raindrops hit the glass gently. Her minder wondered whether she's allowed to have even a fleet of hope or happiness when she knew it was someone else and not hers to keep nor to decide.

She turned to her sister who had a small smile with eyes hopeful, almost teary. While her, on other hand, was scared.

"What's with the face? We found one, Seohyun-ah. Even though its the last minute... we still found one. Can you believe that? You're going to live!"

"And someone else is going to die, unnie. I'm not taking it." A tear suddenly drops on the corner of her eye. Yoona frowned as she took a step forward, sat down beside her and wiped the tear.

"I know but, can you blame me? I only have you, Seohyun-ah... and I can't lose you. You're my only family, remember? I love you. So, please?" Her sister pleaded with teary eyes. 

"Unnie..." She stops herself when tears had already filled her eyes. Is she being selfish? She knew her life wasn't just hers. Closing her eyes, she prayed for everything to be alright even if it's just for her sister's sake.

They both stayed like that in silence until she finally opened her eyes. "You won't... lose me." With that, Yoona wrapped her arms around her as tight as possible, clinging to the future with her only sister.

"Thank you..." Yoona whispers, as tears streamed down her cheeks and a small smile appeared out of hope and happiness. And for the longest time, they stayed like that. Listening to the rain like its a lullaby dulling the pain for a moment.

The first time Seohyun met Jung Yonghwa was at the hospital before the surgery. He stood close to the emergency room with his head hanging low and his back leaning on the wall. While Seohyun was lying on the bed with a couple of nurse surrounded her, her doctor, and Yoona who held her hand tightly repeating comforting words to her. She kept her smile to her sister nodding repeatedly.

When the doctor paused to acknowledge Yonghwa, Seohyun found herself looking at the man before her eyes with emotions she couldn't quite name at the time. Curiosity. Sadness. Guilt. And something else.

The man looked drained and seemed tired out of everything. The doctor exchanged a few words at him but he just nodded, almost lifeless.And after a moment, the doctor turned and signaled for them to go on. The man kept his head down while Seohyun watched him until she disappeared into the room.

The last thing on her memory before everything went black was the tears falling on his pale cheeks, not knowing that she had them too, all along.

The second time was two week after the surgery- and also the day she found out that it was Jung Yonghwa who had given his permission to donate his lover's heart to her. After hearing the information, without a second a thought, her feet brought her to the unexpected.

She hadn't expected the man to be him - the last memory she could remember before receiving a new heart. And the man she dreamed of before waking up with a new heart.

She felt something shatter inside her.

Yoona spoke first. "It's him. His name is Jung Yonghwa." It can't be.