Chapter 4 - Over Dramatics

Author's note:

Author's note:

The dress is Ariella's for the banquet.

-:-:-

"I'm so glad we have history together. I could never endure Mr Varney without you." Delilah says. I laugh and nod. We take our seats in the back and the classroom starts filling up quickly.

"Yeah, he is a pain in the ass." We laugh for a few seconds, earning a glare from the bald, short man. The bell rings and Damien walks in. Oh, did I tell you he's in all of my classes? I groan and he winks at me.

"Take your seat Damien. It's the first day so I'll excuse your tardiness. Show up before the bell rings Mr Crawford or you'll be having a talk with your father." Damien scoffs and sits in the only available seat. Right next to me.

"Fantastic." I mumble under my breath.

"I know I am, you don't have to tell me every time you see me." He says. I give him the middle finger without turning towards him. I look to my best friend and she stares at Damien and I with an amusing grin. I arch an eyebrow at her and mouth 'What?'. She shrugs and looks back towards the front. I linger on her face for a moment then look at the board.

"When are you two going to date?" She asks. I immediately tense up and stare at her wide eyed. "You've been going at for thirteen years. It's obvious you like each other. I mean come on. All you do is nag and push each other around." I notice a hint of anger in her voice and stare at her for a few moments and go to speak.

"Is there something you'd like to share with the class, Miss Herrington?" I turn quickly to notice Mr Varney is right in front of me. I swallow the lump in my throat and shake my head no. "The rules have not changed. There is no talking when I'm talking. Now, back to the Revolutionary War." I sigh and slump in my seat. I start drawing in my notebook. This is going to be a long class.

-:-:-

"I bought you a new dress. I'd like you to wear it tonight." I nod and head up to my room. On my bed lays a dress bag. I unzip it and gasp. I pull out the baby blue dress and admire it. It only has one sleeve and has a strip of sparkly silver. I smile and go over to my vanity on the other side of the room. I put on silver eye shadow and winged eyeliner. I put on a few coats of mascara and a nude lipstick. I turn on my curler and brush through my hair as I wait for it to heat up. I hear a knock at my door and turn my head to see my mom peaking in.

"Do you like it?" She asks. I grin.

"I love it. Thank you." I tell her. I turn my head and start curling my hair.

"I have to go finalize some party details and make sure everything is all set. I'll see you in two hours. Be late but not too late. Love you. Bye." She says. I tell her okay and she leaves. I finish curling my hair and I still have an hour and a half left. I sigh just as I receive a text.

'Hey it's Jax. Delilah gave me your number. I was wondering if you'd like to do something tonight?' I smile slightly to myself. I save his number in my phone and text back.

'I would love to, but my dad's throwing a banquet tonight. He does it every year. It's start at 6 if you want to come.' I bite my my lip waiting for his response.

'Where is it?' I tell him it's at City Hall and he replies quickly. 'Great. I'll see you there.' 

I get up from my vanity and walk over to my closet. I quickly scan my closet and grab my silver heels. I put them on my bed and take off my clothes. I gently pull on the delicate dress and put on my heels. I stand in front of my mirror and smile. My phone starts ringing and I pick it up. I see Delilah's name and answer it.

"Hey. I'll be on my way in a few minutes." I tell her as I gather my keys and white leather purse.

"I have an emergency!" She sounds panicked. I go into high alert mode.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" I ask her.

"No I am not okay! I can't figure out which dress to wear!" I relax and laugh. I start walking out the door and down the stairs.

"Don't worry, calm down. I'll be there in a bit." I tell her. I get in car and start it up.

"Okay. See you soon." She says and hangs up the call. I put my phone in my purse and my purse on the passenger seat. I rev up the engine and back out of my driveway. I put the gear in drive and drive through the town.

I arrive at Delilah's twenty minutes later and groan at all the traffic I had to go through. I turn my car off and step out. I walk up to Delilah's, my keys in hand, and knock on the door. Mrs Ramirez, their housekeeper, opens the door and smiles at me.

"Ah Miss Ariella, so nice to see you. You look lovely as always. Delilah is in her room. Big mess up there." I laugh and she opens the door wider for me to step in. I walk in the house and stop in the doorway as she closes the door.

"Mrs Ramirez, you're too kind." She laughs and tells me to have a good time and I thank her. I walk up the marble staircase and down the hallway to Delilah's bedroom. I open her door with a knock and see her frantically searching through her closet. Clothes are strewn everywhere. I laugh and she gets up quickly.

"Oh great, you're here. I need help." She drags me into her closet. I look at her smokey eye shadow and dark red lipstick and immediately know which dress to pick. I grab her black strapless dress that goes down to the floor and has a slit on the side that reaches her mid thigh. I hand her the dress and her red heels. She looks at both items and grins. "Why didn't I think of this?" We laugh and she goes into the bathroom to change. 

"Jax asked me to hang out with him tonight." I tell her from the other side of the door.

"Oh my god, really? That's exciting! Did you say yes?" She asks with amusement in her voice.

"I invited him to the banquet." I tell her. She squeals and I cringe at the high-pitched sound.

"So you do like him?" She asks. Although she can't see, my face reddens a little.

"He's just a friend, Delilah. Besides we just met today." She comes out of the bathroom and I smile at her. "You look hot."

"I could say the same to you." I laugh at her. "Who cares if you just met today? Attraction is an attraction, no matter what time frame." I give her a half smile.

"We'll see how tonight goes, but we're just friends." I tell her. She sighs and shrugs her shoulders. She mumbles something under her breath but I don't think anything of it.

"If you say so. Let's go, we can't be too late." I laugh and nod. We walk out of her house and get in my car. I start the drive towards the banquet and am grateful for the diminishing traffic.