Chapter 7 - Reunited

I wake up slightly to a movement. Almost as if someone's walking. I realize I'm being carried and just snuggle closer to the person's warm chest. I inhale and smile at the intoxicating scent. I quickly fall back asleep.

-:-:-

I sit up with a gasp, waking up instantly. I breathe heavily and hold my hand to my racing heart. Thoughts of my nightmare whirl around my head and I take a few seconds to push them away. If only it was just a dream.

I look around and recognize the room I'm in almost immediately. I'm in the guest bedroom of the Crawford house. The clock on the nightstand reads 2:02 AM. I sigh and push the white duvet off me. I swing my legs over the bed and stand up. I stretch the tiredness from my aching body. I see my heels on the table at the end of the bed but I don't grab them.

I walk out the door and down the stairs. I go into the kitchen and jump when I see a figure sitting at the counter with his elbows resting on the polished marble. He turns his head towards me and frowns.

"You're awake." He states the obvious. I nod and walk to the fridge, examining its contents. I decide on a yogurt and grab a spoon from the drawer. I lean my back against the counter next to him. "Why?" he asks. I shrug.

"Bad dream. Why aren't you sleeping?" I ask subtly.

"Thinking." He answers thoughtfully. I nod again. I throw away the empty yogurt cartoon and put the spoon in the sink. I go to leave but a voice stops me. "Ariella, wait. " He says. I turn around and suddenly he's right in front of me. I look up into his eyes and they look pained.

"What?" I whisper gently. He looks heavy in thought. He closes his eyes with a sigh and turns away.

"Nevermind." He says. I stand there for a few seconds wondering if I should ask him what's wrong but I throw away the thought and keep walking. I walk back up to the guest room and close the door behind me. I sit on the bed and grab my purse off the nightstand. I pull out my phone and turn it on.

I have seventeen missed calls all from Delilah. I sigh and look at the time.

2:37 AM.

I groan and stand up. I put my phone in my purse and my purse back on the nightstand. I reach behind me and unzip the now uncomfortable dress. It slides down and pools at my feet. I get back on the bed and pull the duvet over me. Once again sleep comes over me and I'm out like a light.

-:-:-

I wake up to a knocking. I yawn and sit up just as the door opens.

"Shit." Damien says. I widen my eyes and realize I'm only wearing a bra and panties. I quickly pull up the blanket and look up at Damien, only to realize he's been staring the whole time. I swallow the lump in my throat and his eyes meet mine. We only stare at each other for a few long, excruciating seconds. "My mom made breakfast." He says quietly. I only nod and he turns away slowly. He leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

I get up and pull my dress back on. I zip it up and walk over to my shoes. I slide them on and grab my purse. I exit out of the room, the sound of my heels clacking against the marble floor. I walk down the stairs and into the dining room. I'm greeted with smiles and one face surprises me.

"Leanne!" I say with an excited squeal. She squeals and rushes over to me. We hug and she smiles at me. "It's been so long. How's college?" I ask her. Leanne is Damien's older sister. Delilah, Leanne, and I were all best friends for years, but Leanne being a year older than us, left for college at the beginning of the summer.

"College is wonderful. There's so many people and professors. Hot guys at every corner, parties." She says the last part quietly with a nudge. I laugh and sit down next to her, Damien being right across from me. " So I heard about the two of you being together." She says bluntly looking at me and Damien. "Since when have you liked my brother?" I take it she doesn't know about the arrangement and I slightly wonder why no one has said anything. I look to Damien and he gives me the 'don't say anything look'.

"I've secretly liked your brother for years now." I say. Damien smirks slightly and I kick him under the table. He glares and I smile. Leanne looks confused.

"You hate him though and Damien hates you." She says.

"All just an act, sis." Damien says. I raise my eyebrows at him. I look to Mr and Mrs Crawford and they're just silently watching us with an amused expression.

"Okay then. I think I lost my appetite." She says and we all laugh. I eat the waffles that are placed in front of me, conversing with everyone. I listen to Leanne talk about college and even at some point look at Damien. He looks at me with his mesmerizing blue eyes and I smile at him, a genuine smile. To my surprise he smiles back and it doesn't look staged. Maybe, just maybe, this arrangement could work out fine.