Draco

To Fred,

I am sure I'm the very last person you'd expect to be writing to you and, quite frankly, I can see why. To be honest, I don't even know why I'm doing this.

Actually, I do.

There's a sense of guilt that is plaguing me like nothing else. It's hard for me to sleep at night and I hate it. Every time I shut my eyes I see... bodies, and blood, and hear screams; screams that I can't help but feel responsible for. I have lived through this war whilst so many people have lost their lives, good people, like you. It was my family and I that pushed the dark side forward, that helped Voldemort. Yet it is me that is alive and you who is dead.

How is that fair? Where is the justice? Please tell me why that's fair because I have been searching for answers, racking my brains and I'm yet to find one.

I'm not going to lie and say I would take your place; I wouldn't. I don't want to be dead. I am lucky to have survived the war and I know that. However I do regret being a coward, more than anything. Hiding, running , siding with him. That's what I did. That's how I'll be remembered.

But you didn't. You fought, along with the others, and did what I was too weak to attempt. Fred, these are things I never thought I would say but here I am... admitting them. My upbringing and background caused me to be a snob, a racist, arrogant and who knows what else and I looked down on others because of it. Looked down on people like you and your family because you weren't rich enough or.. Pure enough. But I was wrong, so wrong. And I apologise.
I apologise because you are- were- a better man than I can ever hope to be. A truly profound wizard was lost in that battle you had the courage to fight in, as were so many others on that night.

I only wish I could have been as brave.

Regards,

Draco Malfoy.

---
Sorry for my horrifically slow updates guys but I am lazy and also have dodgy wifi. Hope you're all doing well! :)