Chapter Three

Zayn let out a yawn at the stoplight he couldn’t make before it turning red. All hopes of him sleeping anymore were ruined with Niall practically begging him to meet him for lunch. When he finally reached the diner, he found Niall sitting in a booth talking with a waitress.

“Are you sure you’re not on the menu?” Zayn heard his friend’s pick-up attempt as he came near.

“I can always double check.” The petite, light brown haired woman flirted back.

“Hey.” Zayn interrupted, a smirk playing on his lips as he noticed the waitress’ sudden embarrassment.

“Oh, uh, I’ll be back when you both are ready to order.” She rushed out.

“Alright. Don’t forget to double check on that special order I asked about.” Niall said with a bright smile and wink, earning a small smile in return. He wasn’t sure what he was trying to accomplish by flirting with her, but she was attractive and the opportunity was there.

“You know that Irish charm of yours is going to run out one day.” Zayn chuckled, picking up a menu.

“Nah. Never has. Never will. It’s the luck of the Irish. I was born with it.” Niall said confidently.

“It seemed to run out last night.” Zayn continued joking. “That girl would have screamed her head off if we had come later.”

“I know!” Niall exclaimed. “She was totally overreacting.” He continued, but he knew it was far from true. He didn’t know what had gotten into him last night. One minute he had this beautiful girl on his lap and the next he was freaking her out by refusing to let her go. Yeah, he was feeling lonelier than ever these days, but to be so forceful with a girl…well that was something he would never have thought himself capable of.

“We’ll definitely keep more of an eye on you next time just in case.” Zayn stated while his eyes scanned the menu items, missing Niall’s saddened expression. “I don’t know what I want.”

“I think I’m getting the southern burger with some cheese fries.” Niall responded, closing his menu.

“How healthy.” Zayn did a terrible job hiding his sarcasm. “Fuck it. I’ll just get the classic club.” He decided after seeing Niall had made up his mind. “So you think you’ll get her number?”

“Who?” Niall questioned.

“The waitress. Did you forget about her already?” Zayn laughed.

“Oh, yeah. She’s pretty much said yes already.” He looked up and saw her heading toward their booth.

“All ready?” she asked, her eyes focused on Niall’s.

“Yeah I’ll have the classic club with fries on the side.” Zayn answered first, not wanting to suffer through more of Niall’s flirting techniques.

“And would you like a drink?”

“A coke is fine.” He said handing her the menu.

“and for you?” She grinned at the blonde.

“Is that special order available?” Zayn restrained from making any gagging noises, not wanting to cock block his friend.

The woman rolled her eyes playfully before answering. “Not until 5pm.”

“And is that every day?” Niall questioned on.

“Saturday through Wednesday.”

“Well I’ll definitely be back when I have the day off.”

The cheesy dialogue occurring before Zayn could not have happened any slower. When she finally took Niall’s order and left, Zayn’s fist connected with his buddy’s arm.