Chapter Seven

The warm water no longer felt as hot against Harry’s skin. He turned it off and opened the glass door to step out of the shower. The bathroom was muggy and the mirrors fogged, driving Harry out immediately.

After drying and pulling up a pair of boxer briefs, he decided he could no longer ignore what had been on his mind the entire time. He grabbed his phone off the side drawer and pressed the home button to light up his screen; nothing happened.

“Of course,” he muttered under his breath when he realized it was out of battery. He connected it to the charger and sat on the edge of his bed, nervously waiting to see if Louis had finally responded.

A small smile made its way onto Harry’s face when he saw Louis’ name appear, but it didn’t manage to grow any larger when the amount of calls and texts were seen. As he scrolled, he saw Eleanor and Niall’s missed calls were around the same time as well. He quickly checked his messages before calling anyone back, of course viewing Louis’ first.

answer your phone

Liam’s been hurt at work

Harry please

were at sacred heart

where are you?

hes going to be okay

Harry…are you okay?

turn your damn phone on! Liam’s in the hospital for bloody sakes!

There were so many, all shifting between worryfor both Liam and Harry to just anger at Harry. Niall’s texts were neutral, telling Harry where they were and to “get your arse over here.” He should have been more worried about Liam, but both Niall and Louis confirmed he was fine and Harry was grateful for that. He would have never been able to forgive himself if he hadn’t been by Liam’s side and…well he would not go there. 

Harry had already dialed Louis before another minute passed with that dreary thought in mind.

“Harry! Where’ve you been?” Louis’ voice was loud through the phone, laced with a mixture of excitement and annoyance.

“Sorry Lou, my phone died and I just now got it on the charger. How’s Liam? What happened?”

“Christ you had me worried as shit. He’s fine and sleeping now. A load of bricks fell on him and left him pretty banged up. Got casts on both his legs.”

Harry hadn’t a clue as to what could have happened to Liam, but having bricks dropped on him would never have crossed his mind. It was so stupid how careless people could be. “What kind of idiots do they hire these days?”

“Yeah well apparently they’ve been questioning people all morning to get to the bottom of it.”

“What is there to question? Fire him, make him pay the bills, and call it a day.”

“That’d be my solution.” A slight pause made it clear that all wasn’t well between the two men, but neither of them would address that while a loved one’s health was just at risk.

“Well it should only take me ten minutes to get ready and I’ll be on my way” Harry said before the silence went on for too much longer.

“Don’t. Only his family and Dani can be with him. We’re all on our way out.”

“Are you serious?”

Eleanor mouthed “who’s that?” having missed Louis’ exclamation when he first answered the phone. “Harry” he mouthed back while listening to Harry carry on.