Complications

The hot sun warmed her porcelain cheeks. A breeze lifted her auburn hair as she turned to glance at her pursuer.

"Catch me if you can," she teased.

With a laugh, she lifted her skirts and sprinted away. The young man following her chuckled and raced after her. Arms outstretched, he grasped at the air where she had been. Always a step behind.

Without warning, she turned around and halted. He ran into her and the pair toppled into the grass, rolling down the slightly sloping hill.

"Say yes," he begged, gazing down at her.

"I cannot," she murmured, stroking his cheek. "You know my father would never allow it."

"Then we shall run away," he pleaded. "We can go anywhere you want."

She smiled, small and sorrowfully. "Who would watch over Carson?"

He shook his head in defeat and rested himself next to her. They lied under the sun, watching the clouds and conversing idly.

"I have to go back," she admitted. "Father will be angry if I am home late."

"May I see you tomorrow?"

"I shall try," she muttered.

"Until tomorrow, then," he smiled and stood, offering his hands to help her up.

They gazed into each other's eyes for a moment, each one searching for something. His eyes crinkled as he smiled again and raised her hand to his lips.