Fourteen

Olive's POV

After the funeral for Willow we got more protection on Alexandria.

I still love with Maggie and Glenn and still call them my parents. Danny and Serendipity have their own house. They're okay with me calling Glenn and Maggie my guardians and parents. They just want what's best for me. After Willow died I heard Daryl and Carol have been hanging out more. Me and Carl on the other hand haven't talked since the funeral.

I walked towards the treehouse to get my books. I have a small feeling Carl's not there because he's always busy with the new girl. What's sad is that I can see something I never saw before.

He's miserable.

I climbed up the ladder to see that he was sadly there. He sat in the corner reading something.

"Hey. You could be playing video games. What are you doing here?" I asked in my most comforting voice.

He smiled weakly.

"It's not the same without you." He said with his voice cracking

I sat down next to him.

"When I was little my mom used to tell me two things. Of course life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy." I said

He laughed but I could tell he had been crying. My heart sank.

"What else?"

I looked at him. He had sadness and guilt in his eyes. I couldn't bare to see him like this but he hurt me and I can't forgive him to easily. I also can't hold it over his head.

"Buildings burn, people die, but love is forever." I said

I hugged him. If I could just stay there for a couple minutes and lay in his arms.

"I'm so sorry." He said as a tear slid down his cheek.

"I know." I said

"Do I ever cross your mind?"

"You never left." I said putting my head down. "Do you still love me?"

"I never stopped." He said picking up my head.

I felt the tears swallow my eyes again.

It all stopped when she walked in.

"Hi. Carl do you wanna go get some cookies?" The girl said.

"Not right now."

"Oh. I never asked. What's your name?" She asked smirking.

"Olive. What's yours?" I asked trying to be polite.

I wanted to rip her hair out.

"Genevieve." She said flipping her hair. 

"Oh. Nice to meet you." I said taking one last glimpse at Carl.

His red, tear stained face looked at me with hope that I'd stay. Just one more night.

I gave him a weak smile and left.

'One of the hardest things to do' everyone says.

No. Not now.

I walked through the doors of my house and went upstairs.

I felt tears well up in my eyes. "Maggie!" I yelled

"Coming!" She yelled back.

I laid there on my bed. I didn't cry. I didn't have any sad expression showing. I just laid on my bed and smiled. I smiled.

"What's up?" She asked sitting at the end.

"I'm not sure. I'm sad but it's not because of Carl. It's because of everything that happened with him. It's the memories. It's all the things he went through." I said

She laid down next to me.

"How he made you feel." She said

I let out a sigh.

"Its funny because my head says 'who cares?' But then my heart jumps right back up and says 'you do stupid.' In some ways I'm glad the apocalypse happened. If it hadn't then I wouldn't have met you and Glenn." I said

"Awww. I love you." She said

"I love you guys to." I said

"So what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know. I'll probably just talk to Carl. Make sure he's happy." I said

"I'm not gonna let you do that. You love him. He loves you. You need to take back what yours."

"What?"

"Yeah! Go get him!"

I sat up.

"What about Genevieve?"

"You honestly think he'd take Genevieve over you? Hurry it's raining!" She said

"Okay!" I said

I ran out the door towards the treehouse.

"Carl!" I yelled

The rain started to get stronger to where my hair was wet.

"Olive!" I heard behind me.

It was Carl. He had his hat on and his hair was messy and wet.

I felt the biggest smile go on my face.

"I was just looking for you!" I yelled running over to him.

He grabbed my hand and took me to the treehouse.

"The ladders to slippery!"

"Then I guess we'll just have to stay here." He said.

"Tell me. Tell me anything just tell me why you did it." I said

"It seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I was afraid that you'd leave for Wyatt. I also got pushed up against the walls and kissed by her. She did it to me. I didn't do it."

I was shocked.

"You're telling me that it wasn't you. Or on purpose? Then why'd you go back to her? Why'd you make her hang out in our treehouse? Why'd you always wanna go get cookies with Carol? Why did you do all the things we did?"

The rain was starting to get heavier and I was freezing.

"Because that's the only way I could pretend she was you."

I looked up.

"What?"

"I never wanted you to leave. I needed someone while you were gone because I missed you. I still do miss you. You're one of the best things that ever happened to me. I couldn't get on without you."

"Carl, I miss you. I miss you so much. I can't let you hurt Genevieve though."

"I broke up with her right before I found you."

I saw that goofy smile form on his face.

"What does this mean?" I asked

He just stared at me.

I looked away. I honestly don't think I'm strong enough.  So I started to walk away until I felt a cold hand on my shoulder. It spun me around.

"Can I?" Carl asked

His face was up against mine. The rain dropped down his face. I know I fall for him over and over again. No matter what happened, no matter how hard I try to let go, no matter how hurt or disappointed he makes me. Because every time I see him I fall in love all over again.

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but I had no control over falling in love with you." I said

He grabbed my face and kissed me.

It felt as if it was the first time.