Chapter 38

Michael ruffles his hair in the mirror, trying his best to make it seem effortless and upon failing, he sighs, turning to Luke who laid on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. "Come to this party with me," He says, playing with his newly dyed hair again with a rough smile.

"Why?" The blonde asks with a raised eyebrow, finally meeting his friend's gaze.

"Because I want to go but I don't want to go alone,"

Luke groans with an eye roll before sitting up and putting on his shoes. "We better get Maccas later or else I'll be pissed,"

Michael grins at the boy's words and the two leave the house. Michael didn't normally go to parties, he always found them to be too loud and never liked the taste of stale,  cheap beer but the party was just down the street and he had a week and a half left of winter break so he decided to be the spontaneous boy he had wished to be and have a grand time at this party.

The two boys walked to the party, slightly chilled once they got there but were quickly greeted by the warm house and blare of bubblegum pop music. Luke heads over to the kitchen, grabbing the two closest solo cups and hands one to Michael. The now blue haired boy holds it with shaky hands, second guessing this decision.

Luke had gone to more parties than Michael has so he seemed to know what he was doing while Michael followed him around like a lost puppy. The blonde eventually deserts him to grab another beer and Michael sits on the couch watching his beer that he had barely touched sitting idle on the counter. He then looks down at his lap and feels the couch dip beside him, causing his green eyes to meet an unfamiliar brown pair. "Can I help you?" He mutters, slightly irritated and the boy next to him raises an eyebrow.

"What's a pretty little thing like you doing here at such a wild party?" They ask and Michael rolls his eyes with a glare as the stranger rests his hand on his knee, slowly moving upward.

The blue haired boy smacks his hand away, getting up moments later. "I have a boyfriend, you prick. Now leave me alone," His voice comes out sharp, shocking the both of them but Michael walks away before anything else can be exchanged. He walks to the kitchen, grabbing his beer that he must've left on the counter before taking a few sips. It tasted off, like something Michael had never tried before but he continues to drink it, wanting to forget the way that boy's hand rested on his thigh and how Michael had called Ashton his boyfriend although he still wasn't sure if that was true.

When his head starts swimming and everything around him becomes muted, Michael knows something is wrong. He sets down the rest of cup, not much left in it before stumbling onto the patio. He fishes out his phone and calls the only person on his mind, tears running down his cheeks. They pick up on the second ring and as soon as the younger boy's voice is murmured, he breaks into sobs. "A-Ashie," Michael whimpers. "S-Somebody put something in my drink and now I feel funny,"

Ashton's breath hitches in his throat and he asks, "Michael, where are you? Where's Luke?"

"I'm at the party down the street by my house. I wanted to do adult things. Wanted to show you I'm not a little kid," He whimpers again, bare skin chilled from the cool winter air.

The curly haired boy sighs and says, "Stay where you are, okay? I'm coming. I'll find you," The two stay on the phone while Ashton drives to the party and soon, he finds the helpless boy laying on the porch, swaying from side to side while his head spun. "I'm here, baby. I'm here, love." He says as he wraps his arms around his broken boyfriend.

The soft sincereness of his voice causes Michael to sob into Ashton's shirt and after a few moments, he murmurs, "I love you and I'm so sorry," into the soft fabric.