Monsters

We stand behind the crowded press.

Yesterday Jack assigned me to 'keeping an eye on' Carter.

I fully explained this to Peg, and she filled me in on the case.

Flashbulbs pop as reporters snap pictures of a 'grief stricken' Whitney Frost.

"Before I begin, I would first like to thank my wonderful fans and my dear, dear studio family for their unwavering support of me at this terrible time. It means more to me than you will ever know. Last night, at midnight, my beloved husband, Calvin Chadwick, along with several of his colleagues... Perished at sea..."

The crowd murmers as I roll my eyes.

"When their boat sank off of Catalina Island."

"Gosh, she's a really good actress."

Daniel comments.

"Oh, please, if I could spit, I would. She killed them. And half the Council. And no one questions her story for one moment."

Whitney pretends to cry.

"But there is one thing that I know. I will not be broken by this tragedy. I will come through this stronger than ever. And that I promise you."

She says looking Peg in the eye.

"Thank you."

"Something happened at that fundraiser. Chadwick must have turned against her. Do you think she killed Dottie Underwood, too?"

Daniel asks.

"Dottie's nothing if not a survivor."I won't believe any stories of her demise until I see a dead body before me. And even then, I might not believe it."

I smile.

"If Whitney truly is a genius, then she'll know that Dottie's of more worth to her alive than dead. We must find her.'

"Didn't know you cared so much."

I comment.

"The only reason why she was set loose in the first place.Whitney will try and use her against us if she can. Mr. Jarvis is trying to fix the transponder link to Dottie's necklace. I'll check his progress."

Peggy tells us.

"Let me know what you find out. And, um... Then we should probably... Talk."

Daniel says quietly.

"Yes, great."

"About things."

He adds.

"Y-yes. Great."

They awkwardly part.

"I think I'll stick with you for now."

I tell Daniel.

"Don't want to be around her and doctor Wilkes at the same time?"

I hide knowing smile.

"That sounded particularly sour."

I comment as we get into his car.

He doesn't reply.

We arrive at Daniels office to find Vermin waiting for is.

"Vermin."

I greet.

He chuckles in a very fake way.

"Jack said you have a thing for nicknames."

He tells me.

"Cracker Jack told you that? What gave him that idea?"