Chapter Four

"OKAY GUYS, WE'RE SWITCHING up the public relations team for the rest of the tour." Merrick walked into the dimly lit green room at the arena and folded his arms. "Since Finn can't keep his dick in his pants, we need a new junior publicist on the road with us."

"Hey, how is this my fault? I happen to think she was real good at her job."

"Yeah, but it didn't include blowing you when she was supposed to be handling logistics for press conferences. Remember what happened with the sound system the first time you plugged her?" Cooper snickered into his beer, the mere sound making Daxton's shoulders tense. His fists clenched, primed to land a satisfying blow to the jaw, but pummeling Cooper now would only cause more headaches later.

"Ah, yeah." Finn stretched his legs out on the plush rust colored sofa. "Damn straight, I do."

"Yeah, somebody didn't flip off her mike." Daxton rolled his eyes. "Can we at least get two this time? One as a backup, you know, just in case?"

Finn winked at him. "Daxy knows the deal. At least one will fall prey to my boyish good looks and charm."

"Let's just say I think we should hedge our bets."

Merrick nodded. "I'm meeting with Jake Prescott from the record label tomorrow to finalize the details. The plan is to keep the senior publicity team, led by Asya, on the ground in Houston and take a junior rep on the road, who can handle the day to day bullshit. It'll be good. We'll still have Kat with us to handle all the social media."

"Oohh, I like the idea of a newbie. That'll be fun. They're always so star struck. It's like you're God, you know?" Finn smirked.

Liam let out a loud yawn. "I don't know. Lacie calls me God all the time. I don't need to be banging publicists to feed my ego."

"Whatever, dude. You're one half of a practically married couple on tour with some of the hottest chicks on the planet itching for a chance to get in your pants. Lacie's cool as shit, but you're wasting your youth. I mean, let's face it, you're not really that talented. Once the ladies find that out..." Finn snickered and punched Liam in the shoulder. "...you'll have missed your shot."

"Leave the guy alone. It's cute he wants to stay faithful to his high school sweetheart. Makes him more irresistible." Merrick popped the cap off his beer bottle.

Cooper's blue-eyed gaze was unwavering, singularly focused on Daxton. Unspoken words hung between them in the form of accusations and harsh expletives, ones that would create a world of chaos if they ever tumbled forth. "Don't listen to those idiots. You're a lucky guy, Liam."

"Thanks, Coop. I know it." Liam took a large gulp of water. "Maybe someday you guys'll find the right ones, too. Until then, plug away. Just keep the presents wrapped, you know what I'm saying?"

Daxton clenched the bottle of scotch, envisioning Cooper's neck in his firm grasp. Rage bubbled beneath the surface, threatening to erupt through his pores until Cooper finally averted his eyes, studying his beer before taking a long swig. This bullshit façade...how much longer could Daxton bury his anger and disgust? Shielding it from the rest of the guys...the physical anguish of maintaining civility when what he really wanted to do was smash Cooper's fucking head into a cinderblock wall. Christ, an explosion was imminent, and he pitied anyone whose ass was close enough to get singed by the flames.

A knock sounded and Casie appeared in the doorway, iPad in hand, Bluetooth headset firmly in place. "You're on in five, guys. Let's move."

Fucking Cooper. So many unresolved and pent-up emotions coursed through Daxton's veins. As if he didn't have enough of his own crap anchoring him, now he had to deal with that whole mess.

He watched the guys shuffle out of the room, happy, settled, free from demons, able to enjoy the success they'd created together. But Daxton's memory was polluted with angst, resentment, and remorse, the effects of which could never be eradicated, no matter how much sex, booze, or any other mind-altering substance he could consume. This success, this life, was more like a nightmare on continuous loop, one where he was the one perpetually hunted with no refuge.

One person had seen what lurked beneath the layers - everything people expected from him, but nothing they really knew. Sara had witnessed what stewed in his soul and shredded his heart because he'd let her in for the briefest of moments during that press conference. He'd never exposed that part of himself to anyone. It was strangely arousing, as fucked up as that was to admit. But he'd done it because he sensed she'd understand, unlike everyone else in his life. Call it intuition, instinct, whatever the hell. It rarely failed him.