Well, Follow Me - Ch 3

Two periods later, when class is finally over, I head to lunch. Suddenly, I stop in horror. What's he doing here? Darren. Who let him in? He's alone this time. Thank god! He spots me, it's too late.

"Hey! Don't act like I don't see you standing there. Come here." I slowly walk over to him, not because I'm scared, but because I don't want to cause a scene, you know?
He's in front of me now, attracting a crowed. "I hear you telling everyone that you beat me up yesterday!", he yells. Jamal and his big mouth, I thought. "Ay man, why you gotta yell for? Look man we can talk this out like civilized people, come on man." I say nervously.

"You think you're funny, right... I'm not laughing. Ima give you another black eye." Oh lord, this guy's breath smells!

"Hey! Leave him alone!" A familiar voice yells. I look over and it's the security officer, now if he was doing his job in the first place we wouldn't be having this problem, but whatever. I'm still so relieved, because I didn't want to have to hurt Darren and all.
"This ain't over yet Rick." he grinds and leaves.

***
I basically run to the lunch room before all the food is gone.

I get me some nachos with apple juice and head over to my usual table. Then I see Jamal. This guy. And he's with Lisa, eating her cookies. "Ayo, Ricky Ricky man!! Wassup!?" he says and put his crumby hand out for our hand shake. I ignore it.

"Aye, you wanna explain how Darren found out about how 'I was telling people that I beat him up'?"

"Hey, you told me to." he says in defense.

"I said if they asked, not tell the whole school."

"Alright man, my bad."

"So that's how you got that black eye? Aww you poor baby!" Lisa says as she comes over to sit next to me. "Is that why you haven't replied to any of my messages?"
"I can't believe you sent me twelve messages?!"

"Well, your weren't answering and then I got worried." she says with her blue puppy eyes.

Lisa White. She has had the biggest crush on me ever since the sixth grade. It all started when she dropped her books in the hallway and I helped her out and carried them to class with her. Then the girl would not stop staring at me. And she would ALWAYS sit next to me at lunch, really close too, and talk my ears off. And sometimes she'll try to smell me. The list goes on about how weird she is. As a matter of fact, I still don't even know how she got my phone number. Now you're probably wondering why I never really told her off, that's because deep, deep, way deep down I kinda feel bad for her.  And as weird as she is, she kind of makes up for it, like when she texts me a million times that's just her psychotic way of wondering if I'm all right, whatever.

"Ay, why don't you leave Rico Sauvé alone and tell me what you put in these cookies, girl. Hmm." Jamal says. And she goes and sits next to him.

I roll my eyes and look over and see Mira standing by herself holding her tray of food and looking lost. Aww ... Uh I mean, let me go say wassup.

I go and walk over to her, and here she is.

"Hey, you tryna find somewhere to sit?" I ask.

"Yea, I haven't really met anyone, other than you."

"Well, if you'd like, you can come and sit with me... and my friends, if it's alright with you."

"I'd love to. You just saved me from having to sit alone." she smiles.

You heard that? She just said that I'm her hero, her superhero, her superman... Her man?

"Well, follow me." We walk to the table.

"Hey, this is Mira. Mira, this is Jamal... and Lisa, who you saw earlier today."

"Hey."

"Wassup."

"Hello." Lisa says with attitude and stares her down.

We have a seat. Mira puts her tray down, sits and sets her backpack down to the right of her. She gets a little closer to me, now I'm not the type of guy who gets all nervous around women, but this girl makes me weak and can't think straight.

She moves her curly hair to the side and starts eating her salad.

"So, where did you come from?" Lisa asks in a jealous tone.

Mira smiles and says "From Manhattan, New York."

"Oh yea, you never told me how you like Cali so far." I say.

"Well, first of all: the weather here is AMAZING! I love it here so far.  But, I really don't know my way around."

"Oh, I'm glad you love it. I'll show you around if you want, some time."

"Aww, thanks Rick. You're so nice, you've done so much for me already. Thank you." she smiles, and once again, my heart melts for this girl.

"Yea, no problem. I'm happy that I could help you." I say in a low tone and I get lost in her big brown eyes and she gets lost in my hazel ones.

"*cough cough* Well, how's Manhattan?" Lisa interrupts.

"It's great, but pretty busy." she pauses and looks down, "I miss my friends and my boyfriend though."

Boyfriend. Ouch! That word stung worst than when I was punched in the eye.

"Your boyfriend?" I ask and clench my jaw.

"Oooh, tells us about him!" Lisa says with a grin on her face.

"Oh, John is amazing. He's trying to come visit once in a while, so you guys will be able to meet him. He wants to try and move here too. The long distance between us is hard."

I lose my appetite.

"Sounds great, I can't wait to meet him!" Lisa says.

***
I pull up to the front of my house. I'm usually the first one to arrive home first so when I get in I'm all alone.

I chuck my book bag and key on the floor. Anger starts to spread across and heats my face. I feel so stupid. Why am I overreacting right now? I lean my back against the door, let out a deep breath and slide down to the floor. Why did I think she would just be mine? Girls like her aren't gonna be single.

I finally get myself together and head up to my room.

Start up my Xbox and begin playing NBA2k16. As I play I keep losing and throw my red controller on the ground. I lay back on my bed and stare at the ceiling. I can't help but feel stupid. I mean, I guess it's good that she told me, before it was too late. Too late for what though? Ahhh, why am I catching feelings so quickly? Man.

I continue trying to wrap my mind around this situation, but I can't think straight. I'm then, interrupted by the house door opening. It's probably my dad. I go down stairs, trying to keep my mind off of Mira.

As I arrive down stairs, I say "Wassup, pops?"

"Hey son, you're actually not playing your game right now?" He says as he's looking through the mail.

I shrug.

My dad, Ricardo León, was born in Barcelona, Spain. He came to America when he 18 to visit other family and ended up living here, in California. Now he's in his late 40's. He's tall, tan, with light brown curly hair and green eyes.

Walking over to our black couch, I turn on the T.V and start flipping through channels. I stubble on BET where they're showing reruns of Martin. I love this show.

This time I couldn't enjoy it as I usually do only because I couldn't stop thinking about her. Frustrated, I get up to eat a big bowl of cereal and just head up to bed, feeling sorry for myself.

In bed I wondered how everything is going to be tomorrow. Hopefully I don't do anything dumb. Maybe I'll be over her soon and I'll be onto the next.
Before I knew it I dozed off to sleep.