"think of the devil and he shall come"

The next day while driving to school I saw rose walking to school. Usually when I see someone from school, I ignore them and move on.

Today I didn't do that.

The car screeched as I pulled it to a stop. I don't know what caused me to do this. It might be that I felt bad that she was walking when it's really cold or if I just felt like being generous. I brushed off my thoughts, rolled down the window and continued with what I was doing.

"Rose, do you want a ride?" I asked

"No th-th-thanks" she said as her teeth chattered

I opened the passenger door to let her in, indicating that I wasn't taking no for an answer. After realizing this, she hopped in the car.

The ride to school wasn't all too awkward. It was really quiet other then her humming to the songs on the radio. I parked in the schools parking lot and turned off the ignition.

"Thanks for the ride" she said as she got out of the car

"No problem" I said

"Can I ask you a question?" She asked while we were walking into the school entrance

"Yeah, sure"

"Why did you pick me up?" She asked

Rose didn't know that I myself was asking this question, it just felt like I needed to do it.  I didn't tell her this.

"I just thought you'd be cold and I didn't want you freezing to death to be in my conscious." I said jokingly

"I know your a good guy, don't try to hide it."

After she said this, I didn't have time to reply because right at that second the bell rang. Leave it to me to not notice that I had gone to my locker and that I had all my things already. Then again he likes to take over whenever I'm distracted, I'm just happy it wasn't anything bad this time.

After having gotten to my next few classes, lunch rolled up quickly. Lunch in my world is sitting at a table and eating, in the high school world it's wherever you sit shows your social status.

In most schools you have an advisor during lunch, but not in my school. I blame being bullied by Connor easily because of this. I knew my luck would wear down. Do you know the saying "speak of the devil and he shall come"?
They should change it to "think just the slightest bit of the devil and he shall come".

One word: Connor

I should've expected this earlier but I was too caught up in my thoughts. I tried to seem as discreet as possible, but of course that didn't work because next thing I knew I was being pulled out of my seat.

"Hey, little Mason. How does  humiliation fit into your schedule today?" He said as he was laughing at his own joke.

Only Connor can be as conceited as to laugh at his own cruel jokes. I can already imagine what he was gonna do. He lifted me up, put me on the lunch table, and began to pull my pants down in front of everyone.

He's done this to me only one other time but it wasn't in front of everyone at school.

I was sick of it. I was sick of being bullied, sick of being humiliated by this jerk. I knew I had to stop this at some point. I controlled him enough to kick Connors arms away, grab him by the collar and punch him square in the jaw.

I cracked.

People think I'm some scrawny nobody, but they're all wrong. I could've killed Connor with that punch but I controlled him enough to not do it.

Connor laid on the ground unconscious. The whole lunch room was dead silent. So many mouths were open in shock. No one did did anything as I grabbed my things and walked out of the cafeteria.

Once I was out I heard rambling and people running to get a nurse for Connor. On my way out I saw rose out of the corner of my eye. For some reason i thought I saw a grin on her face. It's probably just my imagination... at least I think.

I'm sorry for not updating I just didn't think anyone would want to read this so I waited. Hope you enjoyed the chapter.