Prologue

• Dedicated to Max

Me and you.

That's how it was supposed to be. Just me and you. Perfect. Nothing could come between us. You did everything for me. Everything that was in your power to do. I wasn't popular, so no-one was ever jealous of me or wanted to ruin my life. I wasn't unpopular so that the whole world would think I'm a loser. I was in-between. Not too much, and not too little. In other words, perfect. I had jet black hair that always flowed in the wind behind me. I didn't have too many friends, I had enough. Just the right people that I could rely on. I was pretty. I was clever. I had dark black eyes that would gleam in the dark, full lips that were deep red because I always bit it and sent the blood rushing into it. My cheeks always flushed bright red in the cold which made me look like a white porcelain doll, especially because of my pale white skin. I made pale the new tan.

You were gorgeous. You were bright and you were a mommy's boy. No-one ever called you a baby for that. You weren't a bad boy, the type of boy that would normally turn a girl on, but all the girls stared at you in admiration.

"If only I had a boyfriend like that." They'd say.

You weren't too strong or too confident, like most boys act like. You were honest. I can still remember how your cheeks flushed red and how you fiddled with your fingers when you asked me out. I can still taste our first kiss on my tongue. I can still feel the warmth of your body pressing against mine. And how your arms wrapped protectively around me as you swore that you needed me. I can still remember how it was. Me and you.

But that's when reality kicks in and we both realise that nothing's perfect, or at least, nothing ever stays perfect. And that's when I realise that I would rather have died than loved a boy called Danny Cole.