Chapter 3: Just Doing Their Job

I could hardly breathe.

All that entered my desperate lungs was the grimy air that half-filled the boot of my abductors car. I don't know if it's day or night, all I can recall is being stuffed into someone's boot and being rushed away from the crime scene.

The only good news?

I wasn't alone.

Well, I suppose that must be bad news too because the person I was with was only half-alive - to say the most.

My mate, Ainsley. I don't know why, but he keeps bleeding. It's not from a cut or anything like that. He just starts bleeding randomly; the blood coming from nowhere.

"Urgh." I heard beside me. It must be Ainsley waking up. I leaned into him and tried to put his head upright for comfort. In the end I stuck with leaving his head perched upon my stomach. I patted his hair down when I noticed it was kinda scruffy at the edges. But when I realised I made him look like the snotty posh kid, I ruffed his hair back up again; returning it to the original scruffy boy from the backstreets look.

Then he opened his eyes. Those beautiful green eyes. I smiled. Ainsley really looks great in the dark. I don't mean that as an insult, seriously. But the dark brings in a different contrast to his looks. He focused his green eyes on me for far too long. It started to unsettle me.

I shivered. Because of the cold? Or Ainsley's stare? I have no idea. All I know is that it felt weirder than it should have. I don't know why I feel weird around him all of a sudden. I accidentally peed on him in second grade, and that felt perfectly natural. To accidentally pee on him, I mean. I didn't pee on him just because I thought it was a natural thing to do.

I gazed back into his beautiful narrow eyes to show him that I wasn't weirded out by his awkwardness. But it was hopeless. After three seconds of doing so, my arms started shivering as feverishly as my legs and it felt as if the world around me was oscillating as if even Earth couldn't handle the tension I was feeling. My body felt like it was going to shut down any minute now. My hypothalamus was failing to turn on my warming mechanisms. But the thing is...

I didn't need them.

I wasn't cold.

Not at all.

I quivered in the dark. I grabbed my fingers on my right hand to try to keep them inert.

I failed.

And the most unnerving thing is...

Ainsley just lay there. His head resting on my trembling stomach. I knew he could feel the force of my legs, shuddering. And I breathed out; pretending that I was shivering because of the cold.

But Ainsley knew me too well. He reached out for my hand and drew it to his lips. He brushed him warm lips across my flimsy hand and closed his eyes.

That's when the world around me froze.

Everything was perfect.

I was with my bestfriend. He was okay. He has his eyes closed, relaxing. My fingers lay on his warm lips and I stopped shaking.

I closed my eyes and breathed in deep.

But that's when it struck me. It was not okay. We were in someone else's boot. I've got sellotape on my mouth. Ainsley's blood was what kept his mouth so warm.

We've been abducted.

                                                       _____________________________________