Chapter 6

Chapter 6.

A layer of dust rises as I enter. That's good, it means no one has been here in awhile.

The house consists of two bedrooms on the second story and a living room, kitchen and bathroom on the ground floor. We scout the house twice, just in case, then settle down on the living room floor. "It's good to finally be able to relax." Good crow sighs. We sit in silence for a few moments before my mind start creating a hurricane of questions. "So, who are you?" I ask casually. He turns to me. "My name is Dominic." I nod and look around the room. "And you are?.." I snap back to him, realising I haven't introduced myself yet. "Oh uh, i'm Iris. I assume last names aren't important right now?" Dominic laughs. "How ironic." he mutters. I give him a questioning look. "Because of the eye thing" I remember what I had seen in that reflection. I'm temporarily stunned by the memory and stand up to inspect myself in a mirror. Finding a small circular one on the bathroom wall, I lean on the basin I stare at my dark, unchanging eyes. You can stare all you want, they're not going to change. Yet another reason to hate mirrors. I stand there for about five more minutes, letting questions swim in circles, like sharks in the water. Wait, but if he got experimented on as well then what's changed about him?

I storm out of the small bathroom and back to where dominic is now laying casually on the floor. "Helmet. Off. Now" He sits up and shrugs. Undoing the clasp at the back of his head, he slides the helmet off his head, letting dark brown hair fall in his face. He flicks his head, the momentum swishing the straightish hair to the side. I cup his face in my hands so that I can look at his eyes without him moving. They're a swirling mix of dark blue, yellow and blue grey.

I get so lost in the beautiful swirling colours that I fail to notice him staring back at me. I realise just how the situation must seem and quickly back away, dropping my hands to my side. Feeling embarrassed, I stutter out an apology. Dominic smiles with half his mouth, telling me not to worry about it. "Do you see what I see?" I ask quietly. He tilts his head to the side, "Well that depends. What do you see?" I think for a moment, trying to arrange to right word in my mind. "Swirling colours, like that famous Van Gogh painting, the starry sky one." he nods, "yeah, that's what I see in your eyes, no one else's though, it's strange." I sit down next to him. "It's because of what they did to me." I say quietly. "Experiment 1023 that's what they called me, as if I wasn't ... a person, I wasn't human" I wanted to cry, right there and then. The reality of the situation washing over me like a drowning wave.

But I hold back, blinking back small tears and holding my breath so that I don't sob. I look at Dominic, his eyes are mostly blue grey and a yellowish green, with small swirls of grey. I don't need to know what the colours mean exactly, I can tell by the look on his face that he's worried and concerned. He opens his arms awkwardly, I look at the invitation for a moment before looking away from him, denying the comfort. "Why would they do this to me?" I whisper. Looking again at his eyes, this time I don't focus as much on the colour and more on the general look of them. They're kind eyes, ones that have obviously known pain and sorrow as much as I have. I pan out my attention to the rest of his face, his hair is a nice mixture of black and brown straight with small flicks of curls at the ends. It's only now that I realise just how attractive Dominic is. With his glass cutting jaw line and perfectly straight teeth, molded by braces at one point in his life.

"So what did they do to you?" I ask. He looks away, slightly embarrassed. He turns away from me and lifts his hair off the back of his neck. Between two vertebrae was an intricate circular scar, sort of like computer coding. "I'm able to hack into any system on any device. They did it a few weeks ago." He turned back to me. "It helped us escape."

"Why did you help me escape in the first place?" He thought for a moment.

"I'm not really sure, I just felt like I would need you. My grandfather always told me to trust my gut." We sat in awkward silence until Dominic stood up quickly, clapping his hands together loudly. "Well, interview time is over, if you don't mind me I'm going to go find something better than this uniform to wear." He walked to the door then said over his shoulder. "I suggest you do the same, they'll have footage of you wearing that."