Abandoning Them...

My name is Addler, I am a woodcutter, and I am the father of Hansel and Gretel. From hearing my children's side of the story, you probably see me as a cruel, unjust, and terrible father. But that is just how they perceived it. I was actually protecting them. Because the lands where we live is infested with witches, so I was sending them away for their own good. Here is the real story of what happened that night...

"I don't know what to do," I said. "I don't want the children to get hurt if they stay here."
"But we can't just send them running." Said my wife, their mother.
"Sending them away is safer for them, and I'd rather them be safe, more than anything else. I don't think I could live with myself if they got harmed, when it could have been avoided."
"True. But how will they survive without us?"
"They'll make it, I promise, our kids are stronger than we think. I can see it in them."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes." I reply with a surge of pride rising in my chest.
"Then you do it tonight."
Then later that night at dinner, we talked to our children for the last time.
"So how was you two's day today?" I asked.
"My day was great." Said Gretel.
"My day was okay." Said Hansel.
'That's going to change," I thought. "They're going to hate you." And these thoughts almost made me change my mind about sending them away, but I HAD to do this. It was for their safety. So I stuck it out.
After dinner, we cleaned up the dishes, and then it was off to bed for the children. After the children were asleep, I packed up some bread, food, and water for them. Then I woke up the kids and told them to pack some extra clothes up. Then I handed them their jackets and their sacks of food and water. Then I threw on my jacket and we left the house.
We walked around the back of our small, but cosy, house, and started into the woods. Then the questions started.
"Dad, where are we going?" Asked Hansel.
"Dad, I'm scared." Stated Gretel.
Then came the cries. These were the worst.
"Daddy, we are sorry for anything we have done wrong!"
"Yes, very very sorry!"
Then we stopped. I had tears in my eyes and running down my face in long streams. I looked at my children. Their faces were covered in tears. And you could see the fear all over their faces. Then I knelt down and said to them.
"Now, I need you to be strong for me. And no matter what happens, take care of each other. Do not leave each other. Because together, you can make it, but apart, you cannot."
"Yes sir." They said in unison.
"I love you both very much. I am doing this for your own safety. Don't follow me back."
Then I hugged them both tightly and got up and walked away, crying quietly. Then I turned around one last time, and looked at them. They were already trying figure out which way they should go. I turned back around and walked back home, crying the whole way. And that was the last time I saw my children. Well, in person at least....

TO BE CONTINUED...