Getting There

4 hours later...

"Shut your mouths", one of the men snapped. I shook with anger. "Why? Earlier this night, you broke into our house, beat us up, and than kidnapped us and threw us into this like 1926 pickup truck."

John started to cry. "Jolie is at home. She will die if she isn't fed." I comforted him. "Oh Johnny. It's ok. Mrs. Collins will come to the house tomorrow and see Jolie alone. She will take care of her."

Then I turned to the men. "How long will getting to this orphanage take?", I spat.

The men laughed. "Smart kids. They know where we're going."

"WELL?! ANSWER ME!!!!"

"Ok, ok kid. It'll take a week to get from your dump of a house to Rexford."

I gasped. "A week?" The men grinned "Yup. You're going to be stuck with us for a while."

I'm pretty sure I gagged. "We'll be in this trashed car for an entire week?"

The men laughed. "Yup!", one of them said. "Then you'll be in the care of - ". His voice was cut off as another man clapped a hand over his mouth.

"Don't tell them Mark! They'll find out when they get there."

Huh???

6 days later...

John was asleep in my lap. I felt horrible. It was my fault that this happened. I should have protected him more. I should have tried harder to defend us.

Yesterday, we had attempted to make a run for it when the men opened the car door to toss some salads at us. It hadn't worked. I ended up getting smacked several times, and John was kicked.

Tomorrow, the men said that we would arrive at the orphanage. I miss my parents. I wish I could hug them and kiss them. They would freak out if they saw what was happening to us. Just thinking of them made me cry. If John wasn't there, I think I would have killed myself by then. I still had hope though...I still had hope.

Next day...2:18 p.m.

"We're here", one of the men grunted. "Welcome to your new home."

John and I looked at the building in front of us, and I gasped.

This was the orphanage.