Chapter 2

I make my way to the corner, where James is already waiting. He's sitting on the pavement playing with stones in the road and throwing them at passing cars. He laughed as a stone hits a red car and makes a loud CLANK. Luckily the driver of the car never noticed.

"Idiot!" I think as a smile creeps onto my face. I proceed forward to where James is sitting.

"Hey," I say, grinning at him, "thanks for coming."

"No prob Sammy." he says teasing me. He knows I hate it when he calls me 'Sammy'. It makes me feel like such a child. I stick my tongue out at him and he stands up.

"Hey." He says, opening his arms for a hug.

"Hi." I say, accepting it.

He holds me tightly against his chest. I close my eyes and embrace the warm fuzzy feeling inside of me. Every time I'm with him I feel so at home...no, that's the wrong phrase... I feel so, safe, in his arms. Like no harm will be able to reach me.

I open my eyes quickly, realizing that this hug was way too long. James is my best friend. We've been buddies ever since we met in grade 2. It's obvious nothing will ever happen between us.

#FLASHBACK#

"Bye bye mommy!" I say excited to get to my first class of grade two.

"Goodbye my love," she says to me giving me a kiss for the 20th time.

I race to class, only to find that I am very different to all the other girls. My hair is dark brown, everyone else's is light blonde. Everyone ignores me for the whole first week of school. It was terrible. Then one day, as I sit alone in the playground eating my peanut-butter  sandwich I hear a voice behind me.

"Hello." It says.

I turn around to see a smiling little boy with shaggy black hair. He blushes as he sits down next to me.

"You're pretty." He says, his face blood red.

And that was the first day that James and I met. From that day on we would sit together and our relationship grew to an unstoppable form of craziness. He was my only friend and is still, to this day my best friend.

#END OF FLASHBACK#

"Hey, why weren't you answering my messages this morning?" He asks me with a confused look on his face.

"I was sleeping, James." I say with bad memories of yesterday flashing through my mind. I look at the floor and frown, trying not to cry. I am not a cryer.

"You ok Sam?" He asks putting his arm around my shoulder.

"No," I say as a tear escapes and runs down the side of my face, "no not really."

I start to cry and he pulls me into his arms. I bury my face into his shoulder and let everything out. He rubs my back, calming me down and soothing me.

"Hey," he says pulling me away from him," you wanna come to my house tonight? We can watch movies and eat. I know how much you love your food."

I smile at him and take out my phone...

* Hey ma, going to James' for the night. Sorry to leave u alone with it, just need to get away. Luv you lots*

I send the message and we begin to walk back to his house together.