Chapter 8

We are in the middle of talking about school and what we are going to do over the holiday when the waitress comes back and puts our drinks down in front of us.

"Your drinks," She says blankly, "and your foods coming now."

"Thank you." James says smiling sarcastically at her.

She turns around and walks away again. I pull my milkshake closer to me and start opening a straw. The milkshake starts running down the side of the glass as I stick my straw into it. I sip through the straw and am delighted when a cold, chocolate taste reaches my lips.

"Do you like it?" James asks and takes a sip of his coffee.

"Yes. Very nice," I say, taking another sip of milkshake, "and yours?"

"It's nice thanks. How's that waitress?" He says with a laugh.

"Oh my gosh! How is she even employed here?"

"I don't know. But what I do know is that she is NOT getting a tip."

I laugh and take another sip of my milkshake. Good thing we shut up because she walked around the corner with our food.

"Your food."

She puts the plates down and walks away.

"Thank you so much!" James says sarcastically," I am sure we will enjoy it dearly."

I laugh and take a bite of my pizza. It's delicious. The cheese tastes like heaven in my mouth. James is inhaling his pizza.

"Hungry?" I say smiling at him.

"Starving." He replies with a mouth full of food.b

We both eat our pizzas. Although the service here is crap, the food is absolutely amazing. We eat our food and finish our drinks. James offers to buy dessert but I'm stuffed. We get the bill and by 7:30, we are on our way back to his house.

On arrival, we find that the lights inside have been turned on.

"Mom's home." James says with a smile.

I nod and smile back. We walk to the door and open it. As we step inside, the mouthwatering smell of homemade lasagna drifts through the air and reaches our noses. It smells delicious and both of our hunger levels increase again. I'm still too full to eat anything though. We walk through to the kitchen and see James's mom standing in front of the stove cooking. She is wearing a bright yellow apron and is humming a soft tune to herself.

"Hey ma!" James says, walking in and giving her a hug.

"Oh hello dear," she says surprised. She peers around the counter and I wave at her smiling, "Sam! How are you? I haven't seen you in ages!"

"Hello," I say walking in and also giving her a hug, "I'm good thanks, and you?"

"Never better." She says with an overly happy smile.

I smile. "That's good."

"Sam and I will be in my room if you need us." James says, shattering the awkward silence.

"Ok dears. Is she staying the night?"

"Ya. I'll bring a mattress up then she can sleep on my bed and I'll sleep on the mattress."

"Ok dear. Great thinking. Shout if you need anything."

"Thanks ma."

We walk upstairs and into James's bedroom. I walk to a beanbag and plonk down.

"Do you want to watch another movie?" James asks, taking his shoes off.

"Yeah," I say back, letting out a long yawn," what do you wanna watch?"

"Anything. I don't mind."

"Let's watch Memories." I say, thinking back on the disk I found earlier.

"Do you want to?" James asks, walking over to his shelf.

"Yeah." I say. A shiver runs down my spine and I let out another yawn.

James turns around and sees my goosebumps. He walks to his cupboard and pulls a blanket out of the top shelf. He throws it onto my lap and inserts the disc. I'm quite nervous to see what he had recorded but at the same time I want to look back at the good times. I smile at him as the 'movie' starts.