Chapter 12

The walk home is peaceful and I get a lot of thinking done. I think about my life and what my future is going to be like. As I round a corner into the street that I live in I feel a drop of water bounce off the top of my head. I look up and the sky is grey and cold. I start to pick up my pace; my house is still 72 houses down the road. The heavens start crying and I find myself running for shelter. I dive under trees as I run as quickly as I can. As I reach my front gate I see that my dads car isn't there. Good. I'm alone. I hurry inside and slam the door shut behind me.

I'm soaking wet and I'm shivering vigorously. I warily remove my sneakers and walk upstairs. My feet make a loud slogging sound as my soaking socks press against the wooden floor. I walk to my bedroom door and place my hand on the cold round doorknob. As I turn it I hear a click. I push on the door but it doesn't want to open.

"Great,"I think, "now what?"

I push and push but the door will just not open.

I can feel my blood boiling inside of me. I'm cold and miserable, the last thing I need now is this. I kick my door and bite by lip as my toes crack simultaneously. I drop to the ground and lean against the door thinking about what could possibly have been the problem. It's then that I remember locking the door before I sprang from my window the day before.

"Lord give me strength!" I think out loud as I contemplate my stupidity. I stand up again and groggily make my way back downstairs, slipping my wet sneakers back onto my feet. I make my way to the tree that I used to help myself down. My window is still open and my dark grey curtains are blowing around outside. I want to slap myself for being so bloody stupid. How the hell am I supposed to get up to the window without killing myself!? I then remember we have a ladder in the garage and run to fetch it. It's old and rusty but it'll work. I stabilize the rusty ladder against the trunk of the slippery wet tree. I begin my incline up the ladder until I'm perched firmly on my windowsill.

Satisfied with the fact that I'm not dead, I swiftly swing my legs back over my windowsill and stand in my bedroom. I walk to my door and unlock it. I then open it and walk downstairs to put the ladder back in the garage and close the front door. I then remove my sneakers that are now even more wet and walk upstairs, leaving little wet patches behind me. I walk to my bathroom and take a long warm shower before changing into a tracksuit and going downstairs to get something to eat. I take my food and walk to the couch where I flop down and turn the tv on. I'm not really concentrating and as the pictures turn to a blur I dose off into a much needed sleep.