PART FIVE

♡IDLE TEEN♡
            When we exit the store, Electra bursts out laughing. I just stare at her confused how she could act this way. She notices my distaste with her behavior so she places her hand on my shoulder. The sleeve of her cardigan slips down her arm though revealing a whole row of scars. That isn’t what catches my attention though. It’s the fresh lines of blood that make my heart drop.

            “You told me you stopped,” I whisper.

            Horrified, she covers her arm back up with her sweater. She swallows and several tears dribble down her face. I nervously look around at all the people in the square, and before she can completely burst in public I lead us to her car. This time I’m in the driver’s seat. More tears fall from her eyes as I speed to Electra’s house, which is one of the largest in town. We bound through the doors, and are greeted by Electra’s miniature poodle, Marilyn. She licks at our legs, which leads Electra to break out into a small smile. Electra picks her up as we make our way up to her room. Marilyn hops into the bed and her owner plops down after.

            “Electra, I thought things were getting better,” I say as I shut the door.

            Muffled sobbing comes from the bed as the strongest most fearless person I know falls to pieces in front of me. There’s a burning sensation behind my eyes and my throat feels tight. How can a person who looks so happy be so miserable? I mean I have my own struggles with my body and what I want to be in this life, but I’ve never met anyone more miserable than Electra Heart.

            “Marina, I’m so tired,” she says, sitting up.

            Her perfectly made-up face is a complete mess, and her mascara runs down her cheeks with her tears. The little heart remains untouched however.

            “You’re so wonderful though,” I say to her.

            “Everybody hates me. They just pretend to like me. I honestly don’t understand why you put up with me Marina. You have so much to offer to the world.”

            She is the only human being on this planet who knows that I want to be a singer. I ‘ve never even sang in front of a crowd before. Electra basically forced me to sing in front of her and she looked up at me after I did and told me I was going to be famous. She had said that she’ll be in Wales forever and I’ll be famous. Looking at her now, those words make my entire body fill up with dread.

            “I’m sorry I taught you how to throw up. I am so sorry,” she says hysterically.

            I remember that day all too well. All I asked was how she stayed so thin, and she showed me with her toothbrush. Unfortunately, puking became a major part of our friendship.

            “Electra,” I say, not knowing how to comfort her.

            Suddenly, I remember the fresh cuts on her arm, and I march into her large bathroom. I tear open drawer after drawer until I come across a set of four blades. She has followed me in, and looks at me in horror. I grip them tightly so that they cut my skin, and then I throw them out the window as far as I can throw.

            “Marina!” she screams at me.

            Electra grabs me and pushes me out of the bathroom so hard that I fall onto the ground.

            “Leave right now! Fuck you Marina Lambrini Diamandis!” she shouts at me.

            I race down the stairs and sprint home, where I lock myself in my room and cry until I fall asleep.