Chapter 2

FOURTEEN YEARS AGO

"Hey!" Startled, I squeaked as someone pulled me away from my dance partner, unannounced. When I looked back, I found out that it was Trey, and he was sporting an annoyed expression on his face.

"What's the matter with you?" Furious, I snapped at him. I didn't like what he did. He just popped out of nowhere, and unceremoniously tugged me away from Brian, interrupting us while we're having a good time dancing on the dance floor.

"Let's go!" he huffed out loud.

My eyebrows cocked. My forehead crumpled as I struggled to digest what he just said. The loud disco music was still banging relentlessly, bouncing around the four corners of the hotel grand ballroom where our Junior and Senior's Prom was being held, filling my ears, drowning his voice.

"What?" I snapped again. I barely heard him.

"We're going home now," he seriously quipped in a louder voice, and this time, I heard him clearly.

I gaped at him, confused. It was still early. The party had just started. And we're already going home?

I shook my head. My eyes started to harden.

His hand firmly grabbed my wrist and pulled me with him as he took big strides, walking away from the dance floor, determined to take me home.

"Brian!" I glanced back at my dance partner. I saw the look of dismay on his handsome face.

"Wait! I'm not yet going home!" I quickly protested.

"We have to go now, Lily," Trey blurted out, angry.

My eyes darted at him. His face was dark, lips pressed thinly as if he was annoyed.

My eyebrows cocked even more, wondering why he was throwing a fit. He was always cool, but tonight, he was acting strange.

Didn't he have a good time with Dindy?

"It's still early, Trey," I fired back. Irritation was brimming in my chest now.

One thing's for sure. I'm not going. Not this early. Not when, finally, I got the attention of my long time crush.

Tonight, Brian, finally, had set his eyes on me. That was after three years of me admiring him from a distance.

Brian had been my long time crush in our campus since freshman. He was the school's varsity player and the MVP from the newly concluded school's intramurals for basketball.

A certified heartthrob, Brian had always been occupied by pretty girls in our school who were fighting against each other for his attention. Cheerleaders. Muses. Or just pretty ordinary girls with guts to outrageously show their admiration for the cutest guy in the campus. Girls who aren't definitely like me.

I am not the type who would embarrass myself by letting my feelings out in the open for the world to laugh at. I am not that gutsy enough to run after a boy. I am not that shameless yet.

Simply speaking, I am decently modest, not so timid though, but I can say that I have self-respect and self-preservation that even if I like Brian so much, I won't stoop low just so I could get his attention. I had been contented to be just a zealous secret admirer, lurking in the shadow, satisfied with just stealing glances when he's around, and then squeal in glee deep inside, keeping my feelings a secret.

Ah... it wasn't actually a top-notch secret at all because someone knew about it, and it was Trey, my bff.

Well, it wasn't a bad thing to trade a secret with him. I had aplenty of aces to use against him to make sure that he'll never spill my secret to anyone, especially to the person I hated the most – Sarah, the bitch who could infuriate me like no other, Brian's self-proclaimed delusional girlfriend.