| chapter 1 |

The running water of the creek and the chirping of the birds are the only sounds in the woods as I skin my squirrel with my dagger. Everything seemed peaceful.

My name is Adeline, and I'm 14. I had a family, a loving one at that, but they're gone now. Just...gone.

I've been out here since the shit hit the fan from the very beginning, surviving only with my gun, dagger, and old softball bat.

My family was killed on the first night. I was at softball practice. I heard from social media and other things like that that there was an outbreak and dead people were coming back to life. I thought it was a joke, so I ignored it.

My teammate's mom was giving me a ride home that day. We were about halfway home when my mom called. I picked it up and was shocked when she started crying into the phone and screaming and telling me she loves me. Then she gave one last blood curdling scream, and I heard my brother and dad in the backround screaming too, just before the line went dead.

Long story short, I got separated from everyone and was able to make it back to my house. I opened the door to find my neighbors as...things, my mom and dad with huge bites and their stomachs lying around them, and brother crying hysterically. My mother pointed at the gun lying on the ground next to her and she cried as she begged me to end it. My brother had to watch the whole thing. Within minutes though, I found a bite on the back of my brother's neck, and then, well...you know the rest.

3 near-death expieriences later, I finally figured out you had to kill their brain, and I used my trusty ole bat. I was able to go upstairs and change out of my softball stuff into some more practical clothes, packed my bag and headed off.

Fast forward to now, I'm doing pretty damn well. I'm tall and muscular with long brown wavy hair and dark brown eyes. My face is hardened into a cold stare and I specialize in smart-ass comments. Many groups of...men...have tried to take me but I was too strong for them. They least expected it, and that's when I realized me greatest advantage. My age. I was young so I looked harmless, but I packed a serious punch.

I'm wearing a slightly cropped, black tank top with dark grey jeans and black combat boots. For the cherry on the cake, I found a snapback on a run a while ago. I used to wear hats all the time, and I felt like I needed something to remind me that I was at one time, good. The hat I have now is just a basic camo one, and it hold down my tangled hair. My abs are pretty visible and my arms look bigger now, and I am one proud bitch.

I start walking down the road, having finished my squirrel, which was my breakfast for the day. 2 biters come up on me and I slash them with my machetes, one down the center or its skull and the other chopping its head off and then stabbing it on the ground.

Panting and wiping blood off my faceand sheathing the machetes, I turn around and stop dead in my tracks.

A group of about 6 boys stand about 40 feet in front of me. I instantly whip out one of my guns and hold it out in front of me as I walk closer about 10 feet, causing them to back down. Then, one steps forward.

"Adeline?" he says.

Oh my god.

Adrian.

I look around the rest of the group and realize they were all boys that went to my school. I saw Justin, Dylan, Calvin, Nick, and another who I had never seen before.

My feet start moving slowly, then pick up their pace... until I see something. Coming up straight behind the boy I didn't know was a biter. Adrian, thinking I was running towards him, smiles and runs towards me as well.

"Hey!" I yell, shoving Adrian out of my way, and feeling a little bad afterwards.

"YO. MOVE, NOW!" I scream as I tackle the walker to the ground. It snarls and hisses at me, and ripping out my machete again I stab it in the head. I take out the next 4 that show up, and then there are none left. I'm now standing there in front of these boys covered in blood and sweat.

They don't have their attention on me though, but on something they were creating a circle around. I push them aside to get through, and exhale deeply when I see the kid with a huge chunk out of his neck.

"Step aside." I say, and none of them obey.

"STEP ASIDE." and this time they listen as I step forward, aiming my gun at his head. I felt horrible for having to do it, but it has to be done.

"Woah woah woah, wait, what are you doing?!" Adrian asks, pushing me back.

"You can't save him. You have to end it now, or he'll slow you down just to die anyway. You're making him suffer longer!" I answer, getting a little bit pissed.

He nods, and I turn back to the poor boy on the ground. All the other boys are looking at me anxiously. I kneel down on one knee next to him.

"I'm sorry." I whisper, pushing the hair out of his face and wipe his tears away. He nods and I stand up, raise my gun, and pull the trigger, keeping eye contact with the boy the whole time.

We buried him and set up camp that night. These boys had been my close friends all through school, and hugging each of them, I thanked God.
-----------
1 year later
-----------
It's been 9 long months since I lost the group in a walker herd. 9 months on my own. It's changed me, this world. I'm still my sarcastic, witty self, but I'm less trusting, more defensive.

I sit down on a log and begin to skin my squirrel, thinking about my group, and if they were alive.