A Day in the Life

I don't call him. Not after a week. Not after a month. It's two months before I even look at his number. The paper sits under my alarm clock and I look at it every morning. It's only this morning that I put the number in my phone. But I can't bring myself to call yet.

Ana bugged me the first couple days about how it went, but I stonewalled her. She eventually gave up, and we both went about our normal routine. I worked and picked her up from school. In the car we made small talk about our day and maybe got smoothies. I would tell her about the douchebags I worked with and she would tell me about her girlfriends and who they liked and who she liked. I try to keep up with it as best as I can and be involved. If someone had paid more attention to my small musings about school, things might have been differently.

I get out of bed, but don't bother with getting dressed yet. I work at a restaurant as a waitress because it pays well in tips; it's worth it despite the assholes that come in for food. The hours are weird enough that I can sleep in and get done my shift right at party hour.

When I go downstairs, Ana is buzzing around making her lunch for school. I sit down at the table with my laptop and mindlessly check my social media for any parties tonight. Ana after she finishes her lunch comes and looks over my shoulder. I don't mind much as she likes to know where I go after work. Tonight looks like there will be some good social happenings. I get pretty excited and go to type in the address on my phone. Ana is bouncing around behind me.

"Wait, can you like, not go there tonight?" She bounces. I look at her. She's smiling a very big smile.

"Why? This one's supposed to be good. I need a good reason kiddo," I cross my arms.

"Well, it's kinda a surprise," her smile would be described as stretched to her ears in a book. It looks as if Easter came early for her, seeing as it's her favorite holiday.

"Well, just this once okay? Since we haven't had a girl's night in in quite a while," I smile too, as it became quite contagious.

Ana spins in circles and starts getting her stuff around to leave.

"Is mom taking you?" I ask. If she says i have to drive her I might scream. I look at her and see her smile has faltered a bit. God damnit.

"Well.. I was wondering if you'd take me?" she said, directing her smile at me. I held up my hands in defeat.

"Fine. It's not like I have anything better to do. But i'm stopping to get coffee on the way,"

"Aww but then i'll be late!!"

"Hey, you don't want me to collapse from exhaustion!"

Ana pouts. But now I don't have time to care. I have to get dressed so she won't be too late. I close my laptop and hurry upstairs. I put on jeans and a hoodie, because frankly screw bras. Taking a quick look in the mirror I deem myself semi-presentable and grab shoes. Ana is bouncing by the door in her school uniform.

"Let's go, punk"

The drive was a relatively short one. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts for my coffee and Ana persuaded me to buy her a donut.

"So what are we going to do tonight?" I ask as I weave through the traffic to get Ana to school on time.

"Well, we could watch a movie.." Ana replies but she trails off.

"But...?"

"A friend of mine is coming over," she giggled nervously.

"Shit Ana, I don't want to babysit," I grumbled.

"No no no you'll like them. Besides mom and dad said yes already,"

"But it's a school night?"

"Well.. yeah but it's super important. We have a thing to do together,"