Chapter 2

We pulled on to Main Street of an all too familiar town. I never imagined I'd come back here. When we left, I thought it was forever. I left a whole other life down here when I left.
I missed this town. It wasn't much if you were just looking at it, but it had always been home to me. Right on Main Street you had your basics: Diner, hardware store, feed store, and a little shopping boutique that doubled as a hair salon. Of course off Main Street was everything else: post office, courthouse, sheriffs office.
Something about that Georgia air had me feeling all sentimental about the time I had spent here. The better part of my life was spent running up and down these streets and raising all kinds of hell. Momma always said that if they hadn't gotten me out of here when they did, she was sure her and daddy would have taken at lease 15 years off of their lives.
I hadn't thought about the people I'd left behind me too much, but I know they're all still here. My friend Livy will be so excited when she hears of my homecoming. She's been secretly praying for this for years. No matter how many times I told her I was happy where I was, she never brought herself to believe me.
I kept following momma and daddy out of the city limits and back out to our farm. When we moved, we couldn't sell the farm house and all the land. The market wasn't good and Chance Creek isn't really known for getting new folks. So it was always waiting for us to come back to it.
Daddy had someone doing upkeep while we were gone, but I can't quite remember who he said it was that he'd hired. Maybe he'll keep them on staff so I won't have to do morning chores, but then again I'm just a wishful thinker.