One

Quadrant One

It's the year 3024 and the world is dying. After millions of years, Earth is no longer suitable for living. We have run out of fresh water and clean air to breathe. Now we live up in space, and the lucky ones get to live on an actual planet. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the lucky ones. Humans beings were divided into 70 quadrants. Each continent gets ten humongous quadrants. One through ten belong to North America, eleven through twenty is South America, twenty one through thirty are for Europe, thirty-one through forty is property of Africa, forty-one through fifty are the quadrants of Asia, fifty-one through sixty is for Australia, and since no human lives on Antarctica, sixty-one through seventy is for the rich and the world leaders. Quadrants sixty-one through seventy are the lucky ones who get to live on Mars. My name is Jo, short for Josephene. I'm an American, and now I live in Quadrant one. I have dark brown, wavy, long hair with tan skin and blue eyes and I'm a 25-year-old woman. In order to get the human race out of the chaos we are in, the world leaders have decided to start sending people back in time, to try and save Earth, before it's too late. I'm going to be the first person to time travel, and I'm going to make it back.

The loud music pounded through my head as it played in the background. I stood there staring out at the extensive crowd while I tried to calm my erratic heart.

"You'll be fine sweetie," my mother cooed at me, "I hope," she murmured to herself. Unaware that I had heard.

Right now we were at the ceremony that would send me back in time. The scary thing is, they don't even know if it'll work.

My mother, an exact replica of me, gave me a hug and a kiss on the head, "Good luck sweetie, I love you!" she cried, smiling warmly at me as tears formed in her ocean blue eyes.

"I love you too mom," I smiled back, but it disappeared as soon as I heard my name being called.

This is it, I thought. As they put me in an elevator, I had to keep reassuring myself that I could do this. When I was taken up to a hyperloop of some sort, I was amazed. But my amazement was then redirected onto the beautiful purple, white, blue, and black portal sparkling in the distance.

You can do it Jo, have no fear, you can do it, I told myself over and over again in my mind as I boarded the luxurious hyperloop.

"Are you ready?" the scrawny old man by the control panel yelled.

I hesitantly nodded my head and within seconds I was flung into the portal, and through time.